• UK storm warning - Danger of unseasonal high winds and falling trees! Please secure any hutches and sheds, and bring your guinea pigs and rabbits indoors if possible! Click Here for info
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

My Boy Has Gone Into Shock... With Video

Status
Not open for further replies.

Booknerd

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score

Hi everyone,

So the strangest thing has just happened. My babies were having floor time with some tubes and tunnels, all of a sudden, something spooked my boy Pinter, and not just a tiny bit spooked. I have never seen anything like it.

He ran so quickly and hid behind the bike wheel, obviously I have seen him do this before if there is a loud bang or something, but this time he didn't move for ages and then started making this strange noise.

At first I started filming for about 30 seconds, but then I panicked it was serious and I left the room and turned the light out and left him on his own because he seemed even scared of me. After leaving him alone for a while to calm down I have just managed to scoop him up and put his in his bed but he isn't quite right, he's petrified. I don't even know what spooked him in the first place.

Does anybody have any tips for shock?

I hope the video works. You can barely see him, just his white tuft on top of his head.

By the way the 'chh chh chh chh' noise is him it's not background noise.

P

piggyfan

Oh poor little thing. I have no advice but I just wanted to say I am sorry and I hope he is okay soon.

Booknerd

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thank you, he still hasn't moved properly. For some reason Pinter is particularly prone to getting spoked. We always joke that he can see ghosts. But this time i have never seen him behave so scarily, he didn't move for so long and he isn't even moving much now, and he's all wide eyed and when I picked him up I thought he would fight me off but he just kind of flopped into me. I know they only have little hearts and it scared me the way he was breathing so strangley!

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you, he still hasn't moved properly. For some reason Pinter is particularly prone to getting spoked. We always joke that he can see ghosts. But this time i have never seen him behave so scarily, he didn't move for so long and he isn't even moving much now, and he's all wide eyed and when I picked him up I thought he would fight me off but he just kind of flopped into me. I know they only have little hearts and it scared me the way he was breathing so strangley!
Could you keep him warm against your body under your pullover so he hopefully will relax again. Guinea pigs can spook badly and they can die from sheer fright. Some piggies are more prone to spooking badly.

MushiiPeas

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Aww poor boy. i hope he's okay and recovers from his fright soon! x

Booknerd

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Here is an update.

I managed to pull Pinter out of his wife eyed trance with the rustling of some romaine lettuce packaging. I only gave him a small bit and then he feel into a deep sleep on his huddle cup.

I then gave him the rest of his dinner and he has been sleeping loads since. I checked on him this morning and he was also sound asleep. I can only guess that being spooked so badly has left him shattered but touch wood he seems to be getting better.

I am very nervous now about spooking him unintentionally. He is not a shy pig at all and is fine being picked up and cuddled, but now before I go into the room I say 'I'm coming into the room now' incase I make him jump!

Oh dear these pigs do put us through a lot!

Katherine

Soppiest Piggie Owner 2015
Reaction score
I hope Pinter soon fully recovers from his episode. It sounds as though it was traumatic for you and him, but a complete mystery as to what caused him to get so very spooked in the first place.

One of our guinea pigs is prone to getting spooked during floor time, for absolutely no reason that I can discern, although only very mildly compared with what you have described. She also tends to chirp at times (in her cage) which personally I find to be a rather eerie and disturbing sound. But otherwise she is a very happy and confident piggy, who enjoys lots of attention.

I too warn the guineas when I'm coming into the room! If I do just come rushing in, without any "announcement", they get so scared!

Status
Not open for further replies.