• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

My boy passed away

Forestgirl

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I'm even later writing on this thread but I wanted to write something. I'm sorry for the loss of Ginger and everyone else whose piggie has been taken from them. I lost my little guinea pig Oscar yesterday morning who died in my arms. He was 4 and a half. It was distressing as he was shaking and wimpering and every now and again making a noise which sounded like he was either in pain or trying to wretch (although I know guinea pigs can't vomit but I'd probably filled him with so much food/fluid and he couldn't process it). It was the middle of the night and it would have meant a call-out for the vet and if I had taken Oscar to the surgery I wouldn't have been allowed to go in because of the Covid rules. I've been beating myself up because I feel guilty I could have prevented Oscar some of the pain it looked like he was going through but I was cuddling him for 6 hours and it was really only the last hour or so which was so distressing. I feel bad because I kept trying to get food and water into him with the syringe and he seemed to be bloated but I so wanted him to get better. I kept rubbing his little tummy and it seemed to calm him. I'm now thinking I drowned him with fluids but really a lot of what I was trying to get into him came back out of his mouth onto the towel. He wasn't moving his mouth a lot so probably not swallowing a great deal. I also gave him a dose of Loxicom (anti-inflammatory/pain relief and after an hour or two because it didn't seem to have any effect, I gave him another dose. I now think I overdosed him and that helped him to die! OMG it can send you mad, these thoughts. My vet saw Oscar on Friday and said he had some nerve damage in his hind legs and that the gut can be affected. He gave him an injection of an anti-inflammatory and Oscar picked up for a whole day, eating normally but then went downhill. I had made an appointment for the morning after for an injection to get his guts moving but cancelled it as Oscar was eating properly again at that point. I'm now feeling guilty that I should have taken him in and he would still be alive. I'm going to ask if I can speak to the vet who saw him on Friday today to ask his opinion on how things panned out as I'm so worried I didn't do the right thing for Oscar. I can take a bit of comfort in that I was cuddling him for probably 10 hours on the last day of his life and when he took his last 3 breaths, he was calm and peaceful. I have never witnessed a guinea pig death in all the time I've kept piggies and I think I should feel honoured I was able to be there for my boy. I hope anything I've written can help others going through a similar experience. Any comments from you piggie lovers out there would be appreciated.

I’m going to move your post to its own thread. That’s the better way to do it rather than respond to a post from 2017. Sorry for your loss.

Hi @Forestgirl
When a piggie dies , , some of us in fact a lot of us use the words what,,,if,,,why,,,
There are hundreds of ways a piggie leaves us for 🌈 world, most are the reasons we reflect and left to wonder,
You are no different yes you could have done things perhaps to help but we all could, , ,
Oscar died at home with you , , let me say that in itself is special,
You should be proud you did what you thought was right and in my eyes that's special,
Oscar rip loved piggie, x

Please don’t beat yourself up, you adored your little Oscar and he will have known just how much you cared about him. Taking him in the middle of the night to be left with a strange human would not have helped him, he died in your arms
Sleep tight little man 🌈

I’m so sorry for your loss. Oscar was a much loved piggy and you were doing all you could for him. I’m sorry you had to go through it but he died in your arms which I hope is some consolation. Take care of yourself.

Even without knowing the dose of Loxicom I doubt very much you would have given anything like the amount needed to upset his system. Their guts are so essential for them that when things start to go wrong it can sometimes be impossible to correct. He was getting on in years and they don't all live to a great age. Be kind to yourself, you did all you could for him and he was in familiar surroundings when he passed x

Hi @Forestgirl
When a piggie dies , , some of us in fact a lot of us use the words what,,,if,,,why,,,
There are hundreds of ways a piggie leaves us for 🌈 world, most are the reasons we reflect and left to wonder,
You are no different yes you could have done things perhaps to help but we all could, , ,
You should be proud you did what you thought was right and in my eyes that's special,
Thank you so very much for your comments, it touched my heart. You're right Oscar and I were lucky we could be with each other at the end. I had him cremated today and took him into the little room where I could say goodbye and that was v. special as well. Told him how much I had and will always love him and what he meant to me/ I would like to get another piggie but don't know how long to wait.

Hi @Forestgirl
Thank you David Piggie Lover

So sorry for your loss.
Grief is hard and wondering if we could have done something is a natural part of grieving
You gave Oscar a wonderful home full of love.
Be gentle with yourself as you grieve

Thank you so very much for your comments, it touched my heart. You're right Oscar and I were lucky we could be with each other at the end. I had him cremated today and took him into the little room where I could say goodbye and that was v. special as well. Told him how much I had and will always love him and what he meant to me/ I would like to get another piggie but don't know how long to wait.
Trust me , , clean his home and tho tears you can thank Oscar for being special and because of him you going to look at rescue because he made you love piggies, Some wait weeks some days, , I think you want to love a piggie or two then go for it, lots rescue have piggies that need a loving home,

Back