• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

My Boys Have Fallen Out !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zodapop73

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm new here and a first time piggier owner. I've had my two boars since last September. I got them from a pet shop where they had been living together and the staff member said that they were about 3 months old, which would make them 10 months now.

I had moved them inside for the winter and in the last few weeks have started putting them outside again in the daytime to enjoy the lawn again but bringing them back inside at night. They quite often had stand offs and small scuffles while in their indoor cage but nothing too concerning.

Last week I moved them back into their outside hutch overnight, and when I went to feed them in the morning I could see that they'd been fighting. The long haired pig (who I believe is the dominant one), had a bald patch and some scratches on his back. Unfortunately I was due to go away that day for Easter and my neighbour was feeding them, so I put them in separate hutches and hoped that when I came back I would be able to start rebonding them.

However when I put them both in the larger outside run together today (with plenty of hidies and hay so they could get away from each other) a full scale war broke out within the first few minutes and so I have re-seperated them.

I've read the very helpful stickies and threads on here about fighting and rebonding but I wondered if anyone could let me know how best to proceed here and what I might have done wrong. Does it sound like it's hormones (in which case they can rebond ?) or does it sound like separate hutches from hereon in ? I hope thats not the case as they always seemed to enjoy each others company with the odd spat. Did I do something wrong by putting them back in the outside hutch so abruptly ?

Any thoughts on where best to go from here would be most welcome ! Thank you for your time.

Sorry - should have said that as of today they have been separated for five days.

Any time piggies get a new home (whether it's a hutch move, a cage move etc) the dominance hierarchy has to sort itself out again. Couple that with the age of your boys (ten months is definitely part of the teenage stage) and this time it looks like it's just not going to work. I doubt they would go back together anytime soon, not after a big fight like that.

I'm sorry that's happened :( but really it's nothing specific that you did, just that age I would think.

Thank you for your reply Lorcan.
Oh man. :(. I didn't realise that the different environments would be so unsettling for them.
Would you recommend putting them somewhere like a divided hutch so that they can still see each other for stimulation or would the sight of each other stress them out do you think ?

I would try seeing if they'll go side by side with a divider of some kind between them, so they can't access each other, but they can communicate.

And don't blame yourself for not knowing, we were all there once. And unless you already knew, it's not something you would necessarily think about, like they get along in House A, why wouldn't they get along in House B?

Welcome to the forum btw, I should have said that earlier. I hope you find a good workaround with your boys.

Ah thank you. I'll definitely give that a try and hope that they can live happily side by side.
I have two human boys as well, pretty sure that advice would come in handy for them as well today ! :roll:

Welcome to the forum, sorry it's at such a traumatic time.
Sounds like you have found all the dominance and bonding threads in the behaviour section. Lorcan has given you some good advice - I can add no more! Hope they settle side by side.

I'm sorry your boys are falling out.Have they drawn blood?do you know if the fight was a furball fight where each piggie was locked on together,either of these situations deems it a failed bond.your options in this case is maybe get the boys neutered by a cavy savvy vet,after 6 weeks get a female piggie for each boar,only one boar to each seperate group of females.seperate with a divider,or maybe use a good rescue and date your piggies with compatable boars.i had same situation you face now when i started having piggies 3 years ago.Now ive 4 herds with a neutered male and females,It is a difficult situation,pet shops do not always know or give correct information out.I hope you find a solution.I agree with the above comments,:)

Unfortunately the fight happened overnight so I didn't see what happened but Donny (the longhair) was missing some fur and has a few scratches which have now scabbed over so it looks pretty serious.
Thank you for the great advice everyone.

ps - the pet shop I bought them from told me that they were brothers. Now I'm no expert but seeing as one is a Peruvian (I think !) and one is an Abyssinian even I managed to work out that it was pretty unlikely....:doh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back