My boys have just had grass from the garden for the first time

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellsbells82

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
And they love it, never seen them eat anything so fast x)

I can't wait until it gets warm and they can play outside

Sarah from Chucklebunnies

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
That's good to see! Try to give them grass a few times before they go out for the first time - they can overfill on grass and give themselves indigestion if they're not a bit used to it.

I bet you can believe they overeat on grass having seen the speed their mouths can go when getting it down now....

hellsbells82

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I bet you can believe they overeat on grass having seen the speed their mouths can go when getting it down now....

I can imagine! doubt they'll be any lawn left once they've been at it!

How often can I give them grass? The kids loved taking a little bucket out and collecting some for them so can see it's going to be a popular activity!

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Grass is nearly every piggy's favourite!

Be careful to introduce it slowly and to not overdo it at first as too much can upset the tummy, especially when the grass is rich and lush. Just up the quantity slowly.

You will also need to be careful when you put indoors piggies out on the lawn in spring. Make sure that the grass is dry and the ground is warm to your naked feet. Damp, cold ground can easily cause urinary tract infections. We always get a spate of them in spring.

Sodapops

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
As they've never had fresh grass before i would say a small handful of grass between them every few days. As it's quite rich it can upset their tummies if they have too much too quickly (so in other words don't give piles of it everyday until they are used to it)

Mine have grass daily and i fill a 2.5L sized tub with grass and divide it between 6 (each pair of piggies gets on average about 2 handful's of grass per day)

I do have to warn you though - they get a taste for it very quickly :)) Both myself and my partner have received some very funny looks from people when we are out on the front lawn on our hands and knees with a pair of scissors and a bowl {:|

My pigs scream constantly when the back/front door is opened as they know it's feeding time - i too can't wait till the summer :))

Jacs

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My grass is still in no shape to get any grass from I think all the snow destroyed it so needs to recover so hopefully in a month or so I can start getting them a bit from it to start to slowly introduce my two to it, as there won't have even seen it before :)).
I know my piggie I had last year who is sadly no longer here use to eat it as if his life depended on it he loved it :))

Status
Not open for further replies.