• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

My Cavys Keep Making Strange Noises And It Sounds Like They're Ill!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pecanandnutmeg

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have two female guineas and either one or both of them keeps making a strange noise either like theyre hiccuping? Sneezing? or coughing? Is it something to be scared of? I havent taken them to vet yet to check if its a URI. I've read up on the symptoms and they dont seem to have anything.. theyre really happy and popcorning round their cage but I'm just a little scared.. Can someone help?

I think under these circumstances the best thing to do is to book them in to see a vet. There is a piggy savvy vet locator at the top of the forum that will help you look for one in your area. Any kind of strange noises with a piggy need to be checked out, it may be something like a URI or something else. Always better to be safe than sorry.

If it is coughing it still needs to get checked out ideally, as they shouldn't be coughing continuously. I think a vet visit is your best bet :)

It sounds like a choke noise. When a piggy needs to clear it's throat of food that has been scoffed too quickly, it will try to shift it with a sneezy, coughing, hiccup noise. It is always a worry when this happens and I immediately watch that piggy until it's cleared it's throat.
However, until you are sure of this noise, it is always best to see a savvy vet to be sure and a health check is always done at the same time anyway.

If the coughing happens during or shortly after eating, then it is just from bolting the food down. However, please have any sneezing and coughing checked by a vet if it is regular or persistent. It could be the sign of a URI, which doesn't always present with classic symptoms. We have got a piggy savvy UK vet locator on the top bar.

PS: It would be good if you please added your location to your details. I am going to move your thread from the bonding to the Health/illness section.
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk...cation-and-creating-an-avatar-picture.107444/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back