• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

My cleaning routine -- fast, easy and relatively cheap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I tried several different beddings for my boys Cocoa and Ginger:

• Carefresh -- worked well, but extremely expensive
  • Pelleted paper -- worked best and lasted the longest, but I didn't think that it was comfy for my piggies
  • Fleece -- loved it, but we don't have a washing machine, so it's not a practical long-term solution, even with multiple sets of fleece
  • Wood shavings -- messy. They ended up getting tracked all over my apartment.
  • Newspaper only -- cheap and easy to clean, gets soggy really fast

A couple of weeks ago, I finally settled on a routine that works for me and my budget.

I line their cage with four pages of newspaper. (We get a free newspaper in the neighborhood in bulk.) Then I place a handful of Carefresh in each corner, which is where they do their business the most. Finally, I shred a few pages of newspaper by hand for them to sleep and play in.

I also put a big handful of hay on the floor, but they end up eating it instead of sleeping on it. (They have a hay rack that is full at all times, as well.)

I roll everything up in the newspaper and throw it out every morning. This is easier for me than trying to do a spot cleaning. Moreover, I can't stand the idea of my guys running around in more than a day's accumulation of poop and pee.

Once a week, I take the cage apart and scrub the bottom section out in the bathtub.

The only part of this routine that I can foresee changing is possibly using paper pellets instead of Carefresh in the corners.

I know that my routine isn't unique. I have learned so much from this forum and continue to do so. I just wanted to share what is working for me in the hopes that maybe it will help someone who is struggling with their cage cleaning routine.

Last edited:
Great! Glad you have something that fits your budget. :)

I use hay for my piggies cages. I layer the bottom with newspaper, than put a soft hay bedding on top. Throughout the week I add more hay as needed, then on Friday, I roll it all up and the cage is clean! :)

Thank you, HairlessWillow7. :rose

The hay and paper don't get stinky during that week? I only ask because I tried Carefresh on top of newspaper at one point. I was certain that the newspaper was trapping the pee and making the cage smellier than without the newspaper.

If not, hay would probably be a good option for me, too. Hay is relatively cheap -- certainly cheaper than Carefresh.

Great! Glad you have something that fits your budget. :)

I use hay for my piggies cages. I layer the bottom with newspaper, than put a soft hay bedding on top. Throughout the week I add more hay as needed, then on Friday, I roll it all up and the cage is clean! :)

snap

I use newspaper and hay as my bedding and i buy a bale of frest hay from farms, they usually cost around £4.00 and for your set up will last you easily a month and probably longer.

I used to use woodshavings as my bedding but seeing as the pigs are in my bedroom they were making a huge mess on my carpet and I would be finding woodshavings everywhere, also I didn't find them very absorbant at all and the piggies were sneezing. Switched to hay as a bedding and I found that it was getting really soggy and smelly very quickly, I was also practically throwing money away as a bale wouldn't last long at all, I was also having to change the hay every few days if not everyday. Finally settled on fleece and the piggies love it, though the washing machine doesn't! I often find it gets clogged up with hay so we are having to clean the filter or whatever you call it quite often.

I have also used many different bedding materials,
Fleece get stinky fast
Vetbed - the poops get trampled into the vetbed
Woodshavings-messy
What is working for me now is a layer of newspaper, then a layer of puppy pads, with thick hay on top.
They still get fresh hay in their hay rack at all times.
In their sleeping area I use fleece with puppy pads underneath.
I love watching them popcorn in the fresh hay once I've cleaned the cage.

For the outdoor hutches I use newspaper - if we run low I just ask at work and someone brings a bag in. Then I top with hay.

I do full cleans Weds and Sun winter - roll it up and the hay goes in the garden waste bin and the papers get recycled if dryish, or general bin if soggy. Am lucky the binmen are ok with this as asked them.

In summer I also use a layer of megazorb as it soaks up wee and helps them stay dry longer but when hot weather I only use 1 layer of paper and hay and clean daily, depends if they are out in the runs really.

Monty guinea is inside in my room - I use the puppy liners and megazorb - can't use all hay as I suffer with hayfever - even in winter I'm bad if its in my room overnight. He does have his hay daily just in one corner to eat.

I use newspaper and hay as my bedding and i buy a bale of frest hay from farms, they usually cost around £4.00 and for your set up will last you easily a month and probably longer.
Thank you for sharing your routine, JoBo. I dearly wish that I had the room to store a hay bale. Alas, my apartment isn't spacious enough. Nor would I relish hauling a hay bale up four flights of stairs.

I used to use woodshavings as my bedding but seeing as the pigs are in my bedroom they were making a huge mess on my carpet and I would be finding woodshavings everywhere, also I didn't find them very absorbant at all and the piggies were sneezing. Switched to hay as a bedding and I found that it was getting really soggy and smelly very quickly, I was also practically throwing money away as a bale wouldn't last long at all, I was also having to change the hay every few days if not everyday. Finally settled on fleece and the piggies love it, though the washing machine doesn't! I often find it gets clogged up with hay so we are having to clean the filter or whatever you call it quite often.
Thank you, GuineaPigg. I did like fleece very much. If I had a washer/dryer, I would be using fleece for my boys.

I have also used many different bedding materials,
Fleece get stinky fast
Vetbed - the poops get trampled into the vetbed
Woodshavings-messy
What is working for me now is a layer of newspaper, then a layer of puppy pads, with thick hay on top.
They still get fresh hay in their hay rack at all times.
In their sleeping area I use fleece with puppy pads underneath.
I love watching them popcorn in the fresh hay once I've cleaned the cage.
Thank you, squeeksmom. Puppy pads are something that I really must check out. Perhaps they would allow me to stretch cleaning, even by one day.

I really appreciate hearing about everyone's routine. :flower:

I use a layer of newspaper topped with fleece...It gets changed everyday cos I can't stand the smell...i also pick out the poo(using rubber gloves) a couple of times during the day...I save the poo for my mum who puts it on her compost heap! I put the fleeces on the line for a good blow before brushing them & throwing them in the washing machine.

I use a layer of newspaper topped with fleece...It gets changed everyday cos I can't stand the smell...i also pick out the poo(using rubber gloves) a couple of times during the day...I save the poo for my mum who puts it on her compost heap! I put the fleeces on the line for a good blow before brushing them & throwing them in the washing machine.

misspiggy64, I love that you give your mom piggy poo for composting. We don't have a garden, but we have potted plants. Perhaps I should through the poo in there. Would that be too stinky in the house?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back