• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

My Darling Barry

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexr

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I lost my lovely Barry (my avatar pig) a week ago. He was 8 years old. I adopted him when he was 2 with his late wife Beverley. Although he loved Bev, she was very dominant and he became much more chilled out after her passing a couple of years ago. He really came into his own as a solo pig and he was the most gentle, loving piggy I have owned. Over the last year, he battled with dental issues and then it was discovered he had quite bad arthritis, kidney and stomach issues. He was on a lot of medication. Unfortunately, a week last Monday, his urine test showed his kidneys had completely stopped working. The only viable option was to put him to sleep. I was heartbroken and really didn't want to have to make the choice to end his life. After a final night of cuddles, Barry took matters into his own hands. As we went to step out the door to go the dreaded appointment, he passed away in my arms. Somehow, I think he knew where we were going but wanted every last moment of being at home before he died.

It is a week on and I feel so depressed. I cry every day. However, at least I feel that myself and his vet tried absolutely everything to help him before it was realised that there could be no good outcome. She sent me a lovely sympathy card which was very nice of her.

Perhaps it was a little soon to adopt again but I got a rescue boar at the weekend who I plan to pair up with a suitable match. I just couldn't stand the piggy silence. The feeling of not having a piggy pottering about and wanting cuddles! My family of course have passed lots of unhelpful comments about me "trying to replace Barry" and "being disrespectful to Barry's memory." Yes, the new boy does look quite a bit like Barry (albeit a massive version) but he is his own character. Barry could never be replaced. I more see it as offering another animal in need the happy home that Barry and his friends before him had.

Anyway, sorry for offloading a bit here!

Alex x

I am so sorry you lost such a special boy. I think it's lovely you are opening your heart to give another piggy a loving home. Life without piggies is empty.

I am so sorry you lost such a special boy. I think it's lovely you are opening your heart to give another piggy a loving home. Life without piggies is empty.
Thank you :-) It is very sad without Barry but equally lovely to be able to welcome a younger pig into the home. I like that he enjoys sitting in Barry's favourite places during his free-range time (probably smell related despite avid cleaning!) but I like to think it is because he feels that it is a loving environment where another pig was once very happy.

Oh you poor love. I do understand how awful it is to loose a pig after long illness and when you battle so hard for them, even though 8 was a great age. You will always remember him and I do not think its in any way disrespectful to his memory to get another pig. Its actually a loving tribute to him. Please feel free to post here about how you feel, as we understand. I dont think your family are being very helpful which is a shame.

I am very sorry for your loss. Barry was a very handsome boy and has been such a big part of your life. He has lived to a very ripe old age thanks to your good care! Pts is always such agutting decision to make, so I am glad for Barry and you that you didn't have to go through with it, but that Barry knew that it was right to let go.

You can never replace him; however many piggies pass through your life, each is unique and with each you have a different bond. And some build their nest very deep inside your heart indeed! Barnaby is no replacement, but he is filling a void in your life and it is great that you want to find him a companion of his own.

I find the silence in the piggy room always so very depressing whenever one of mine passes away ad the others go into mourning. Sadly, not many people that have not experienced this themselves understand your feelings. Everybody is reacting differently to a loss. Love is a river that needs to flow and not a bucket that dries up when it is empty. I feel the same as you. :(

Yes, people dont understand if they have not experienced it. When Toffee died under general aneasthetic in December the vet called me at work to tell me and I burst into tears at my desk. My co-workers laughed even though they are not mean people, they just didnt get it. We do, though ((hugs))

I am so sorry you have lost your special little boy, they are a huge part of our family and lives and have special places in our hearts. He must have had the most amazing life with you. Massive hugs to you, we are all here for you if you need to chat x

Sleep tight little one

RIP Barney
x x

I'm so sorry for your loss and the unhelpful comments people give you. You are in my thoughts x

I'm so sorry to hear about Barry but it is lovely you have taken in another rescue pig.

So sorry for your loss. Don't listen to your family, of course your not replacing Barry.

Popcorn free Beautiful Barry.

xx

I'm so sorry about Barrie :( He had a great long life with you! Everyone is different about getting another pet after their previous one has passed away. It's no one's business but yours. I'm the same way as you. When my 14 year old dog passed away, I couldn't stand the silence- not having someone there to greet me when I got home from work, and I would never not have a dog, so I went out that week and found another dog that was in need of a home. Don't worry about what others say- you are providing an animal in need with a good home and that's what matters :)

Can't even imagine how hard it was but Barry was very loved.
You did everything you could and brought a tear to my eye reading this.
Rest in peace Barry x

So sorry for your loss, You done everything you could for Barry and he was very fortunate to have such a caring and loving family such as you. I believe the right time to adopt another Piggie is when you are ready to, if that means the following weekend then that's what it is. I lost my Moo just before Christmas and I cried for 2 weeks solid, I still cannot sleep at nights now, but time is slowly helping. I made a decision to adopt a new Piggie less than a week after Moo passing as Tubby being on his own just wasn't an option, we have Dom now, he doesn't replace Moo, but he's family and we love him so dam much, I'll never forget Moo and you'll never forget Barry as they have a very special place in our hearts just for them.

RIP Barry play well at the Rainbow Bridge x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back