• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

My GP is under GA and I'm nervous

It’s generally up to 50g a week, or nothing. But I don’t know about daily. Why, what’s happening with yours and why are you weighing daily?

Just curious... How much can guineapig gain a day?

Hi!

How old is your guinea pig and how long have you had them?
Have you double-checked the gender upon arrival?

Mine is almost 5 and male?

How much has he gained? The difference between a full and an empty bladder is 10g and the difference between a full and empty tummy can be 30-40g. the more often you weigh, the greater the weight swings throughout the day.
Our weight guide deals comprehensively with weight issues, including weight swings and when putting on weight quickly can be not such a good thing.
Weight - Monitoring and Management

If it is suddenly noticeably more, then please feel the belly for signs of bloating.
Digestive Disorders: Diarrhea - Bloat - GI Stasis (No Gut Movement) And Not Eating

My guineapig is at vet ... And he will be under sedation and general anesthesia for CT Scan and teeth trim...

He lost a lot of weight and the last time I weight him was 900g.. 🙁 I'm really really nervous my guineapig won't wake up..

I understand the risk of anesthesia but reading those 1star reviews on yelp is making me so nervous...does it happen frequently?

-worried nervous guineapig mom

I don’t think that it is a frequent occurrence to not wake up from a GA. how much weight has he lost and over what time period? What are they going to do and what do they think is wrong with him? Did you say he’s 5?

They're trying to find why he has bulging eye... tried 3 different antibiotics and they can't find the cause so they want CT scan now.

He lost a lot actually... about 150g from few weeks ago but he still moves around and asks for critical care ..

While the risk is there, most of the time things work out well. I've had 4 spays done, a cystotomy and an adult who lost a huge amount of weight all the way down to 450g who went under to have her teeth checked, all went fine. It's natural to worry, I'm always an anxious wreck when one of mine have to go in, but try to keep yourself occupied so you dont get too anxious. Chances are, it will be ok ❤

I’m sorry to hear that. It’s natural to worry as Eriathwen said try to keep busy 🥰

While the risk is there, most of the time things work out well. I've had 4 spays done, a cystotomy and an adult who lost a huge amount of weight all the way down to 450g who went under to have her teeth checked, all went fine. It's natural to worry, I'm always an anxious wreck when one of mine have to go in, but try to keep yourself occupied so you dont get too anxious. Chances are, it will be ok ❤
Omg 450g..really glad to hear everything went well. very strong piggy 💕

Yeah very very nervous because he will be under sedation for CT Scan for his bulgy eye and anesthesia for teeth trim.. he hasn't ate solid food for few weeks and his teeth is overgrown..

My guineapig is at vet ... And he will be under sedation and general anesthesia for CT Scan and teeth trim...

He lost a lot of weight and the last time I weight him was 900g.. 🙁 I'm really really nervous my guineapig won't wake up..

I understand the risk of anesthesia but reading those 1star reviews on yelp is making me so nervous...does it happen frequently?

-worried nervous guineapig mom

Hi!

Please be aware that when you research online you inevitably get all the horror stories and the miracle cures but NOT the vast majority of perfectly fine procedures because they are taken as 'par for the course' and are not considered worth posting about.

Please take a deep breath. The overwhelming majority of piggies will come round again. Your boy is still a good weight. The lowest weight any of my piggies was for a life saving emergency operation was 520g - and she was a 4 year old adult after a massive weight loss in just a few days.

What you have to brace yourself for is that your boy is rather unlikely to eat by himself unless you they are very experienced with guinea pig dentals (which only a very few vets are).
You will have to step in with syringe feeding and generall feeding support.
Tips For Post-operative Care
Complete Syringe Feeding Guide (with illustrations, videos and a chapter on dental piggies that can eat on their own with help)

All the best!

Just got back from vet. It was a long day. He did wake up from anesthesia...Thankfully ❤ I didn't get great news but that's ok I guess... he looks bit dizzy and not himself right now.. what would be best thing to make him feel better? Any suggestion appreciated :)

Have a read of the post operative care guide that was linked above. So what were the results of the CT scan?

Just got back from vet. It was a long day. He did wake up from anesthesia...Thankfully ❤ I didn't get great news but that's ok I guess... he looks bit dizzy and not himself right now.. what would be best thing to make him feel better? Any suggestion appreciated :)

Please read the links in my first post; they contain all the necessary information and tips for post-op care and feeding support.
Let him sleep it off as much as he can but make sure that the gets enough food into him, even if you have to improvise with mushed up pellets.

I am sorry that the news are not good.

One weird thing is

His eye looks very red and little cloudy after a vet visit..

He wasn't this red or showed any cloudiness before I dropped him to vet for CT Scan and teeth trim... don't know what happened

The doctor said that if the eye appear red or cloudiness we can start on eye antibiotic

Back