• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

My guinea pig chico is not eating.

Chico91901

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I have a guinea pig named chico and he's currently on baytrill (0.06 ML per day) to treat an URI. I'm on his 3rd day of medication and he's now refusing to eat the critical care provided by the vet. I've heard lack of appetite is a side affect to baytrill but I'm still pretty concerned. Should I take him back to the vet? Thank you.

Perhaps try him with mushed pellets. Soak them in water and syringe feed him or offer on a spoon. Baytril is notorious for killing the appetite so try a probiotic as well. I’d also weigh him daily at the same time. I hope he perks up soon.

Complete Syringe Feeding Guide

Antibiotics kill off the good gut bacteria as well as the bad illness causing bacteria. It can help to give a probiotic (an hour after an antibiotic dose) as it can help them feel a bit better. Better still, use poop soup made from the incredibly fresh poops of a healthy companion.

As siikibam has suggested, perhaps try his normal pellets mushed with water either on their own or mix some of it into the critical care as it will familiarise the taste. Alternatively you could try a different type of recovery feed if one is available to you.

Switch to weighing him daily while he is unwell so you can monitor his food intake much more closely. if you are unable to get him to eat, then yes, do go back to the vet for help.

Just to clarify, should it be 0.6ml per day, not 0.06ml?

Probiotics, Recovery Foods And Vitamin C: Overview With Product Links

Antibiotics kill off the good gut bacteria as well as the bad illness causing bacteria. It can help to give a probiotic (an hour after an antibiotic dose) as it can help them feel a bit better. Better still, use poop soup made from the incredibly fresh poops of a healthy companion.

As siikibam has suggested, perhaps try his normal pellets mushed with water either on their own or mix some of it into the critical care as it will familiarise the taste. Alternatively you could try a different type of recovery feed if one is available to you.

Switch to weighing him daily while he is unwell so you can monitor his food intake much more closely. if you are unable to get him to eat, then yes, do go back to the vet for help.

Just to clarify, should it be 0.6ml per day, not 0.06ml?

Probiotics, Recovery Foods And Vitamin C: Overview With Product Links
Thank you for this. And yes it is 0.06ml a day.

How much do your piggy weigh, and the strength of the medication? 0.06ml is a very small amount

Back