1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Guinea Pig Died

Discussion in 'Holidaying with Guinea Pigs' started by Carqupo, Aug 25, 2016.

1. Carqupo

Carqupo New Born Pup

Hi.. My dear Pepa died when i was away on holiday and i left her and Lola on a boarding hotel for guinea pigs...
    I am devasted.. Not knowing 100% what happened... Well she was 5 years old..but was ok when i left her..
    Now, i have Lola, also 5 and i dont know what to do.. Shall i get her company? Or leave her on her own? Cause she is old, mayb she is no up to meeting "new friends"? Dont know what to do:(

2. VickiA

VickiA Moderator
    Staff Member

Hello and welcome to the forum

I'm so sorry that you lost Pepa while you were on holiday. It's heartbreaking to lose a much loved pet. Here is our guide to looking after a bereaved piggy so that you know how to support Lola. Looking After A Bereaved Guinea Pig

When you and she are ready you may wish to consider getting her a new companion. Please could you add your location to your profile so that we can name appropriate rcommendations.

Carqupo likes this.
  3. Claire W

Forum Donator 2016/17

Hello and welcome.

I too am sorry that you lost Pepa whilst you was on holiday but please do not beat yourself up. Chances are, it was just her time to go

If you are in a position to, I would definitely consider adopting a friend or friends for Lola. Either a single sow or neutered boar of similar age or how about a pair of baby sows so they have each other when Lola eventually passes?

4. karonus

Forum Donator 2015/16

Tragically you can never forcast when you will lose a piggy. We have even lost one while away with ours in the caravan and that conjures a host of problems in their own right.

5. Freela

Freela Adult Guinea Pig

I'm really sorry for your loss. Sometimes pigs and other small animals can go downhill very quickly... it's just bad luck that you were away at the time. It must have been an awful shock to come home from.

As for getting a friend, there's no reason why an older pig wouldn't accept a new friend. We lost Linney when Sundae was close to 5, and she was very happy to have a new friend... about 18 months later they are still closely bonded and it's been far better for Sundae to have a companion, especially now that she has lost a lot of vision in her old age. So if you see guinea pigs in your future, I don't see a reason why age should be a factor. Hope this helps!

6. Tiamolly123

Forum Donator 2016/17

Hi & welcome
    I am so so sorry that you lost Pepa, when she was away from you. Sleep tight little one.
    I would go for another one especially, as I think they had a tight bond.
    Age doesn't come into it, go for it.

Carqupo likes this.