• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

My Guinea Pig Doubled Her Body Weight In Two Months?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Princesspiggys

New Born Pup
Reaction score
On the 16 of December I weighed both my guinea pigs. Darcy weighed 600 grams and leia weighed 500 (they were only 4 months old that's why they did not weigh a lot) today I weighed them again. Darcy weighed 800 grams which means she gained 200 grams but leia weight 1000 grams which means she doubled her body weight. I was expecting them to put on weight as they are growing but I am concerned for leias health as I no over weight guinea pigs can develop health problems and I want my guinea pigs to live a long healthy
Life:)

That is a lot of weight to put on in 2 months (assuming your scales aren;t playing up?) .
Are you sure they are both girls?
If they are both girls - then a large increase in weight could be due to fluid accumulation within the abdomen and I would suggest a vet visit for a thorough check-up.

That is a lot of weight to put on in 2 months (assuming your scales aren;t playing up?) .
Are you sure they are both girls?
If they are both girls - then a large increase in weight could be due to fluid accumulation within the abdomen and I would suggest a vet visit for a thorough check-up.
Sorry but I was wondering if there are any other symptoms I should look out for if this is the case? She is acting normal and eating normally

This is a picture of her. As you can see her belly does not appear to be swollen she just looks a little chubby (she is the beige one) however if the weight gain continues I will have to take a trip to the vets

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 11
Often there are no other symptoms Only your vet can tell you for sure if there is anything to worry about reference her increase in weight.and they may need to do an Xray to be sure nothing untowards is going on in her abdomen (including for instance ovarian cysts - although she is very young to develop these),

One of elderly ladies who had heart issues developed fluid in her abdomen - her front paws were slightly swollen (indicating fluid buiild-up), and if her pink lips looked slightly blue/grey on occasion as she wasn;t getting a full dose of oxygen and her circulation was compromised.

A vet check would be best as my boy Jack doubled in weight also he had no other symptoms it was a sign he had an enlarged heart with fluid in his lungs and abdomen

Thank you i will be moniteri g her weight over the next few days as my scale is not always accurate but I think I will be making an appointment with the vet:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back