• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

My guinea pig has a poorly eye

KaysPig

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi so yesterday I noticed that my guinea pigs bottom eyelid on his right eye was a bit red, droopy and swollen. I just thought he’d got something in it so I left him alone to come back today to find lots of discharge coming out of his eye and his eye a bit cloudy. So I decided to gently wash his eye with salt water. He is 2 years old and hasn’t ever had any health issues. I’m getting concerned. Does anyone know what’s up?

Attachments

• 03F7EBF8-23BC-4A03-B1F1-6FE2D37317FC.jpeg
    03F7EBF8-23BC-4A03-B1F1-6FE2D37317FC.jpeg
    90.8 KB · Views: 5
  • BFA70DC6-ADB5-4420-BA5E-C8BC3E1823E8.jpeg
    BFA70DC6-ADB5-4420-BA5E-C8BC3E1823E8.jpeg
    65.2 KB · Views: 5
  • A6C194D2-536F-4AA5-B190-374326494C7B.jpeg
    A6C194D2-536F-4AA5-B190-374326494C7B.jpeg
    83 KB · Views: 5
Hi so yesterday I noticed that my guinea pigs bottom eyelid on his right eye was a bit red, droopy and swollen. I just thought he’d got something in it so I left him alone to come back today to find lots of discharge coming out of his eye and his eye a bit cloudy. So I decided to gently wash his eye with salt water. He is 2 years old and hasn’t ever had any health issues. I’m getting concerned. Does anyone know what’s up?

Hi!

Please see a vet promptly with any eye problem and do NOT home treat. Eye injuries and infections can be worse than visible to the naked eye and they can deteriorate very quickly. They need professional assessment and the appropriate antibiotic eye drops and any other necessary measures based on your vet's assessment.

When seen promptly, thankfully most eye issues also heal comparatively quickly unless the damage has gone too deep into the eye ball. Eye medication (antibiotic eye drops) and treatment is the same as for cats and dogs, so any general vet should be able to deal with it.

Let us know how you get on. My lily had damaged her eye last month. The night before it was fine then the Sunday lunch it was twice the size protruding from the socket, the red bit was whitish and the white bits were red. I have dealt with a couple of minor eye injuries before but nothing that looked that bad so it was scary. Luckily the damage was all superficial and with a couple of weeks of eye drops and metacam it was back to normal, in fact the swelling went down very quickly. The vet kept me constantly warned that they may need to remove the eye until we were certain it had healed.

Let us know how you get on

So we went to the vet and she said it was just a scratched eye and gave us eye drops, his eye is completely fine now! Tysm for the advice☺️

So we went to the vet and she said it was just a scratched eye and gave us eye drops, his eye is completely fine now! Tysm for the advice☺

Phew! That's always reassuring when the damage is superficial

Back