• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

My Guinea Pig Has Just Died

Status
Not open for further replies.

GuineaGuy

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello,

My Guinea Pig passed away 10 minutes ago - we had recently found had a lump in his liver area and I was making him comfortable and preparing to help him across the bridge if necessary.

Unfortunately he died when I was about to pick him up to take his metacam.

I can't really think straight at the minute - all my other Guinea Pigs died at the vets and I'm not sure what to do. He has a cage mate who sadly saw the whole thing and I have left Chip in the corner of the cage. I seem to recall reading that I should leave him in there so his cagemate understands what has happened. Is this correct? If so for how long.

I can't get to the crematorium until Saturday morning - I'm thinking of wrapping him in a blanket and popping him in a travel box - will that be ok?

Thank you in advance.

Thank you both - this is the 6th one we have lost over the past 3 years, but it doesn't get any easier, especially as it happened right in front of me.

He was 6.5 years old, he had a good life and even though he arthritis he didn't let it bother him. This is Chip and Oliver. Chip is the blonde one on the left. He was such a character - he would always run up to the edge of the cage when you walked into the room to say hello, as opposed to all the others who ran away!

Attachments

• IMG_0514.JPG
    IMG_0514.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 4
I am so sorry, it's horrible when you see them go..... but at least he went in his own home. You did the right thing by leaving him a little while for Oliver to understand.
I would think wrapping him up until you are able to take him would be ok. Is there any chance you may be able to put him in the freezer or fridge until that point? Gas build-up happens fast when they die, and then when they are moved this can be released, and trust me the smell is not nice.
Please forgive me for talking of sweet Chip this way, but from a practical view point....

Hugs to you, it's a very upsetting time. I hope you are OK x

Thank you all for your kind words. I've only just plucked up the courage to take him out and put him in his box - it's the worst :(

Thank you @Critter for the advice - I have put him in the coolest room in the house - unfortunately I have no space in the fridge or freezer, although I might try again in the morning when I am thinking a bit clearer.

I'm really sorry for your loss. It's always so hard. You did the right thing letting his buddy see that he had passed... then they understand that their friend isn't coming back. I always left them together until the living pig stopped paying attention and moved off and then I quietly removed the body. My pigs would also nuzzle/lick their lost friend, which was heartbreaking but did seem to help them understand.

In practical terms, if you are going to have to wait a day or so to get to the crematorium, I would probably wrap him up in blanket and put him into the freezer. I always hated to have to do that, but it was probably the best thing to do under the circumstances.

((HUGS)) to you, and again, so sorry for your loss.

I am so sorry for your loss. They really do take a piece of your heart when they go .

Oh he was beautiful! I'm so sorry for your loss! If its only for a day it would probably be okay just to keep the little chap wrapped in a blanket in a quiet place as long as its a cool room.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back