My Guinea Pig Illness Is Getting Worse

Status
Not open for further replies.

The GP girls249

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
:(i posted a different thread about my guineapig having red blotches and losing fur but now giving it medicine that the doctor gave us. We have also kept it isolated in night and in a run with other female guineapig at the evening, as we've got a bully. It is getting worse mostly on her ears- it's losing skin plus there's a black crusty dot on it. Plus it's getting worse on her back. What do you think we could do?:(

Gus&Charlie

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
:(i posted a different thread about my guineapig having red blotches and losing fur but now giving it medicine that the doctor gave us. We have also kept it isolated in night and in a run with other female guineapig at the evening, as we've got a bully. It is getting worse mostly on her ears- it's losing skin plus there's a black crusty dot on it. Plus it's getting worse on her back. What do you think we could do?:(
If it were me, I'd be at the vets again for sure... I'm sorry for your struggle but hang in there & we'll be sending prayers from Boston!

Lady Kelly

Staff member
Reaction score
What did the vet treat them with, when was the medication given and what did the vet think the problem was? Are you able to take some photos of the issues you are describing so our more experienced members can get a look?

Generally speaking if a guinea pigs health as deteriorated I would be straight back at the vets. That said, depending on what your vet has done so far, a more experience cavy vet might be a better option

helen105281

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
I would go back to the vet, what did they say was wrong? was it fungal? what treatment have you been given?

Please could you update your location on your profile has it will help us to advise you. Even just the country is fine if you are a minor.

Freela

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
What was the vet's initial diagnosis? What medication is your piggie on? I would wonder if you're still seeing worsening with treatment if your pig was misdiagnosed, i.e. treated for fungal when the problem is actually mites or something like that. I would definitely make another vet appointment and let them know the treatment isn't effective.

Status
Not open for further replies.