• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

my guinea pig is being weird

lthornham

New Born Pup
Reaction score
my guinea pig nipper is now 7 and a half years old and looks fine, but recently he has started making squeaks like he is in pain from his cage at random every 10 minutes or so. (he hasn't squeaked much for 2 years now). I noticed as I was feeding him that every few nibbles he had to stop and do some heavy breathing and would make some quite squeaks, he isn't smelling great and has a rumbly tummy aswell. I'm wondering if anyone knows what the problem could be. x

I honestly don’t really know, but as I say to everyone who’s having issues, take your piggy to the vet.
Also, welcome to the forum.
:wel:

Welcome to our friendly forum! I would take your piggy to the vet if only to ease your mind.

Your piggy has quite a few symptoms which means it could be different things. I’d suggest the following:

1. Vet appointment, urgently especially as you suspect pain.
2. Start weighing your piggy daily at the same time. Sounds like not eating very well so please start syringe feeding if not eating with critical care or mushed up pellets.

How is the poo output? Is there soft poop causing the smell around piggy’s bottom?

Please see a vet urgently - it sounds like one condition (the one causing pain, and/or the one causing breathing problems) is escalating into eating difficulties, which will rapidly escalate into gut problems. Let us know how you get on! Hugs

my guinea pig nipper is now 7 and a half years old and looks fine, but recently he has started making squeaks like he is in pain from his cage at random every 10 minutes or so. (he hasn't squeaked much for 2 years now). I noticed as I was feeding him that every few nibbles he had to stop and do some heavy breathing and would make some quite squeaks, he isn't smelling great and has a rumbly tummy aswell. I'm wondering if anyone knows what the problem could be. x

Hi and welcome

Please have your piggy seen as a life or death emergency ASAP. He is clearly in major pain; the heavy breathing means that his heart is straining and a bad smell means that he has likely serious digestive problems, whether that is diarrhoea or bloat or going to turn into the guts stopping working altogether (GI stasis). He is an old piggy and he does no longer have the strong immune system and healthy organs of a younger piggy. When something goes wrong at this age, it tends to go wrong very quickly and badly, unfortunately. :(
List Of Life And Death Out-of-hours Emergencies

It can well be that he has started to go into organ failure, but as this is obviously very painful for him it would in that case be kinder to put him to sleep and cut short his suffering. It is our last, most most-heart-breaking but also our most loving gift we can ever make a pet of ours.

I am very sorry; but a little home care is sadly not enough in this case.
Keep your boy as comfortable and as warm (but not hot) until you can be seen as quickly as possible.

HUGS

Back