• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

My guinea pig is breathing weird

Ceceforshort_

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I just got my guinea pig a day before Christmas. I believe he is still a baby. He has been breathing very rapidly for the past few days and eveytime he breaths in and out he makes a sound and has been sneezing a lot. He had a lot of energy when I first got him now he has none at all.he’s also been having a little crust on his eyes. What’s wrong with my guinea pig?

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Please have him checked by a vet today for a potential respiratory infection. URIs can become a serious infection so I tis important he is checked and treated appropriately.
Switch from weekly to daily weighing of him so you can ensure he is still eating enough hay (as hay is their main food intake but you cannot judge they are eating enough by eye). if he loses weight due to being poorly, then you must step in and syringe feed him.

Not Eating, Weight Loss And The Importance Of Syringe Feeding Fibre

Once he is better, please also get him a friend. Guinea pigs, particularly babies, need constant social interaction from another guinea pig so they must always be kept in pairs. A single piggy will become very lonely very quickly.