• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

My guinea pig is having problems in her nose

cookieandfaith

New Born Pup
Reaction score
My guinea pig has a low murmur/wheezing noise in her nose. She was making this awful congested noise on tuesday and couldn’t eat her pepper, and on the night she looked so so ill and on wednesday morning she looked the same. i thought she might have something stuck but if she did it hasn’t come up, it’s a lot quieter now but when we hold her to my ear i can hear it in her nose. She’s also started acting like herself, wheeking, moving about, eating, drinking, running about. She’s then gone quite quiet again, any suggestions what this could be? or what could have caused it. we have rang the vets and we couldn’t get through, due to covid we have to make an appointment, but we want answers now we are very worried.

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
piggies have narrow airways so anything in their nose can make it hard for them to breathe - dust particles from hay or bedding can cause it. Usually they will sneeze and clear any blockage. If she hasn’t though, I would definitely continue to try to get through to the vet so she can be checked out In case it is something else.
The need to breathe comes before needing to eat and piggies can’t breathe through their mouths so this why she would have struggled with her food. Keep an eye on her weight to ensure she is still eating enough hay.

cookieandfaith

New Born Pup
Reaction score
piggies have narrow airways so anything in their nose can make it hard for them to breathe - dust particles from hay or bedding can cause it. Usually they will sneeze and clear any blockage. If she hasn’t though, I would definitely continue to try to get through to the vet so she can be checked out In case it is something else.
The need to breathe comes before needing to eat and piggies can’t breathe through their mouths so this why she would have struggled with her food. Keep an eye on her weight to ensure she is still eating enough hay.
Thank you so much, that’s so extremely helpful, we have been watching her and she has eaten quite a lot of hay actually, and we are going to keep weighing her and watching her closely, and trying to get through to the vets!