• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

My Guinea Pig Isn't Eating Please Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Einahpets16

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My guinea pig Agatha was fine in the morning I gave her usual veggie breakfast and she eat it all as always. But when I get back from work in the night my dad told me she wasn't eating that he gave her the veggies she usually eats in the afternoon and she didn't even touch it.
And she's hiding in her house and looking sad. I pet her and she purrs as always and everything else about her looks fine.
I even weight her and she's in her usual weight 1.02 kg.
I need help I don't know what should I do?

I would book a vets appointment. It is worrying when they stop eating, has she done any poos? I would start syringe feeding her to keep her guts going, they can stop working quickly. Does she have a friend? You can mix some of her friends poos with water and syringe feed this to her (sounds gross I know) but healthy poos contain a lot of good bacteria that keeps the tummy healthy.

Yes to syringe feeding, but poos may make the situation worse,
Ceclatrobs as they are called are formed in the cecom of most grazing animals ,
As the pigs tummy produces the poops, once in a while instead of coming out of the bum a poo
Gets transfered into the animals cecom were it stays for a wile to build up a colony of bacteria that
Is beneficial to the animal's digestive process!
When it is needed the pig passes the poo and eates it, (you will ocasionaly witness this as the pig puts it's
Head between its legs to pull out the baterea rich poo or Ceclatrob as it in called )
The problem with feeding other pigs poo is knowing which one is in fact a Ceclatrob? .)
There is also the compatability problem! Some say each animals Ceclatrobs are unique to that animal!)

So feeding poo could? be ham full as a pig that is already malnourished would be getting fed pure wast material!

Safest bet is when in doubt don't take a chance especially when there are things like fibraplex that contain tummy friendly
Bactera

Last edited:
Yes to syringe feeding, but poos may make the situation worse,
Ceclatrobs as they are called are formed in the cecom of most grazing animals ,
As the pigs tummy produces the poops, once in a while instead of coming out of the bum a poo
Gets transfered into the animals cecom were it stays for a wile to build up a colony of bacteria that
Is beneficial to the animal's digestive process!
When it is needed the pig passes the poo and eates it, (you will ocasionaly witness this as the pig puts it's
Head between its legs to pull out the baterea rich poo or Ceclatrob as it in called )
The problem with feeding other pigs poo is knowing which one is in fact a Ceclatrob? .)
There is also the compatability problem! Some say each animals Ceclatrobs are unique to that animal!)

So feeding poo could? be ham full as a pig that is already malnourished would be getting fed pure wast material!

Safest bet is when in doubt don't take a chance especially when there are things like fibraplex that contain tummy friendly
Bactera

Thank you for clarifying that, I didn't know that.

I notice she isn't pooping or peeing and she's just hiding in her house. I book an appointment at the vet for tomorrow but what should I do mean while?

Not weeing ! Possible urithal stone ! Try putting your finger on her Vulver, to feel for a stone! Alteritivly carfully try opening the vulver slightly with your fingers (only slighly ) and see if there is any sighs of a stone! I have seen this several times in Sows and on a Cople of occasions the stone has passed with gental manipulation,

It will do no harm to cheq or mention to your vet , but if you do see a stone you may be wise to leave it to your vet to remove

the method of "eating" someone else's poo has been now expwerimenting also in the main university hospital in Rome... and the results are promising..:vom::vom::vom:
The caecotroph looks different from the poo, it looks like a grape, I have seen it by chance last day; the piggies never let it touch the ground and eat it directly from the anus... therefore it is almost impossible to catch it. Anyway it is not a problem, as the caecotroph is good mainly for its amount of nutrients and vitamins B not digested before. If we want only to transfer bacteria also the poo is useful, although it contains only waste fibres.
Anyway, this talk is not useful for you now, as your piggie is not peeing... there is something wrong inside his body...

My guinea pig Agatha was fine in the morning I gave her usual veggie breakfast and she eat it all as always. But when I get back from work in the night my dad told me she wasn't eating that he gave her the veggies she usually eats in the afternoon and she didn't even touch it.
And she's hiding in her house and looking sad. I pet her and she purrs as always and everything else about her looks fine.
I even weight her and she's in her usual weight 1.02 kg.
I need help I don't know what should I do?

Please see a vet as soon as you can today.

Start syringe feeding and watering; in an emergency mushed up pellets will do. Follow the tips in our syringe feeding guide on how to prep a syringe. You can get a 1 ml either from a pharmacy or from your vet.
Syringe feeding is enormously important with guinea pigs, as it is vital to keep the guts going. They cannot fast like predators.
Here is our complete illustrated step-by-step guide: Complete Syringe Feeding Guide

Should my piggie see a vet? - a quick guide

I got so worried yesterday that I had to took her to the vet in an emergency because her belly was swollen.
The vet said is an obstruction on her intestine and he's going to try to treat it with medication but if that doesn't work he said they'd need to operate her as an emergency. I'm so scare.
Is there anything I could do to help her avoid the surgery?

I got so worried yesterday that I had to took her to the vet in an emergency because her belly was swollen.
The vet said is an obstruction on her intestine and he's going to try to treat it with medication but if that doesn't work he said they'd need to operate her as an emergency. I'm so scare.
Is there anything I could do to help her avoid the surgery?

Keep syringe feeding, watering and massaging her gently (if you have a car, driving her around can help reduce the gassing), as well as giving the medication. Did your vets do a scan to determine whether it is acute bloat or a blockage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back