• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

My guinea pig seems really lonley and tired?

Caris'sPiggys23

New Born Pup
Reaction score
my guinea pig whiskey has been seeming a bit down in the dumps lately,It makes me sad to see her in this state,and no she does not yet have a guinea pig friend my mom and dad are getting me a cute piggy here soon though.But she usally popcorns and is always happy but today things have changed i gave her some veggies and she still hasen't even took a nibble but when she gets food she eats it.She also isn't showing any signs of excasive thirst she dosent have a mood either she just isnt herself and i really like some tips to maybe lighten her mood.Thank You!

I personal always pop to the vet if there are any noticeable behaviour changes. Especially if she isn’t eating as normal. It is always best to rule out any health problems

You’ve said she isn’t eating her food but when she gets food she eats it - so is she eating properly (the hay) or not?
Being alone will cause her to become lonely and while piggies just get on with life they are much happier to have a friend.
Here are some enrichment ideas to help keep her occupied Enrichment Ideas for Guinea Pigs

However, if you think she is ill, then she needs to go to a vet.

shes not eating veggies and seemes a bit sad
(btw she usally loves veggies

Is she eating hay? It’s the most important part of the diet. The only way you can gauge if they are eating enough hay is by monitoring their weight.
Only a vet can diagnose any potential illness.

You’ve said she isn’t eating her food but when she gets food she eats it - so is she eating properly (the hay) or not?
Being alone will cause her to become lonely and while piggies just get on with life they are much happier to have a friend.
Here are some enrichment ideas to help keep her occupied Enrichment Ideas for Guinea Pigs

However, if you think she is ill, then she needs to go to a vet.
thank you I'm sure that will help its just she usally loves veggies and popcorn and squeaks when i walk in the room but shes not doing it today?

yes shes eating a lot of hay she loves that stuff:)

That’s fine then - hay makes up 80% of their diet and if she is eating it happily but just doesn’t fancy having her veggies at the moment then there isn’t necessarily a problem. Have you been monitoring her weight weekly? Is she losing weight at all?

Mine don’t squeak every single time I go into them, it’s not necessarily indicative of anything but if you have grounds to think she is ill and is displaying any unusual signs and behaviour then you need to see a vet.

If she is lonely then she needs to have a friend

That’s fine then - hay makes up 80% of their diet and if she is eating it happily but just doesn’t fancy having her veggies at the moment then there isn’t necessarily a problem. Have you been monitoring her weight weekly? Is she losing weight at all?

Mine don’t squeak every single time I go into them, it’s not necessarily indicative of anything but if you have grounds to think she is ill and is displaying any unusual signs and behaviour then you need to see a vet.

If she is lonely then she needs to have a friend
no she has not lot anyweight and she also is getting a friend soon

Ita likely not a health issue then if she isn’t displaying symptoms and is eating well, gaining weight and is otherwise fine.
Until she gets a friend she likely will be lonely so providing enrichment in the meantime and finding ways to keep her occupied ie by scatter feeding or hiding veg in hay piles so she can forage, is all you can do

Ita likely not a health issue then if she isn’t displaying symptoms and is eating well, gaining weight and is otherwise fine.
Until she gets a friend she likely will be lonely so providing enrichment in the meantime and finding ways to keep her occupied ie by scatter feeding or hiding veg in hay piles so she can forage, is all you can do
great ideas thankyou!

It's nice that your parents are getting you another piggy in the future. Is there anyway you can pick up your own sooner though?

How old do you have to be to buy your own guinea pig from your pet stores?

Back