• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

My Guinea Pig Stinks...

ashhtonn7

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Here in the past week or so, I've noticed that my piggies have a real nasty smell to them. I was wondering if this is normal? Can I give them a bath? What can I do to make them not smell so putrid?

I suggest let them be. Please don't give them a bath. Giving them bathes can kill them because it wipes the grease off their fur. This is very dangerous. Also Could you add more information? Like how often do you clean the cage? How big is it? What kind of bedding are you using?

Nono I mean over time if you take it too frequently.
It won't kill them over time either. Some members on here have to regularly bum bath their piggies and they're fine up to now. Please be careful about not replying with things that will scare the original poster.

@ashhtonn7 what exactly do they smell like? Wet hay can smell if not changed regularly. If you tell us more details as Betsy asked above, we can perhaps help. And as mentioned above, boars scent mark a lot. So it may be that which is smelling - it's unpleasant!

A bit more background is needed please.
How large is the cage? What sort of bedding are they on? Do you poop pick every day? How often do you clean out the cage? What piggy safe disinfectant do you use?
The cage is a 2x5 C&C cage, They are on fleece bedding, I pick up the poop everyday, I change the fleece every 3 days, and I don't use a disinfectant

It won't kill them over time either. Some members on here have to regularly bum bath their piggies and they're fine up to now. Please be careful about not replying with things that will scare the original poster.

@ashhtonn7 what exactly do they smell like? Wet hay can smell if not changed regularly. If you tell us more details as Betsy asked above, we can perhaps help. And as mentioned above, boars scent mark a lot. So it may be that which is smelling - it's unpleasant!
It kind of smells like pee? Maybe a little bit of hay. I smell it on them, not in the cage

This is what their cage looks like

Attachments

• CB6B9FF7-29DC-4FA0-964F-F8FCBE0500B2.jpeg
    CB6B9FF7-29DC-4FA0-964F-F8FCBE0500B2.jpeg
    106.5 KB · Views: 30
Is there something under the fleece to absorb the urine? Is the fleece wicking - any urine is absorbed through and doesn’t sit on the surface? If they smell of pee I wonder if they’re sitting/lying in their own urine. Is it stale and strong smelling?

As an aside, pellets should be kept to a tablespoon per day each.

Is there something under the fleece to absorb the urine? Is the fleece wicking - any urine is absorbed through and doesn’t sit on the surface? If they smell of pee I wonder if they’re sitting/lying in their own urine. Is it stale and strong smelling?

I have puppy pads under the fleece. Whenever i clean the poop out of their cage it usually feels a little damp in some places, but it might be from where they peed recently. The only place where its really soaked is under the water bottle, but it might be leaking...

Okay, ill only give them 1 tablespoon of pellets per day. How much lettuce should I give them too? I know that they should always have hay

Back