• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

My guinea pig won’t eat it’s nuggets

Abby tannetta

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi all, when I got my guinea pig a few days ago I was advised to use the same nuggets she was already on. So I do and I’ve tried scatter feeding and in a bowl. She doesn’t seem to eat them, I’m supposed to feed her them twice a day but I can’t replace as the bowl is still full. She eats hay and leafy greens nicely. Do they just not like nuggets? Any advice? Thankyou.

Guinea pigs should only have a very small portion of pellets a day. If you have given a bowlful then don't expect her to eat it all. Their diet should be 80% hay

You’ve got some good advise above. What I wanted to ask was whether she has a friend? Piggies shouldn’t live alone. They’re very social and need constant companionship from their own kind.

If she is eating plenty of hay and some daily leafy veg she will be fine. Piggies don't need the amount that it says on the packet. I only feed nuggets twice a week and think of them more as a treat.
May I ask what you feed them in a day I’m hoping to go pellet free as I just can’t find one mine want to eat .x

May I ask what you feed them in a day I’m hoping to go pellet free as I just can’t find one mine want to eat .x
I feed her leafy greens, twice a day, and fresh hay twice a day, also with some forage. She loves it all. I also give her some treats of carrot or sweet potatoe.

You’ve got some good advise above. What I wanted to ask was whether she has a friend? Piggies shouldn’t live alone. They’re very social and need constant companionship from their own kind.
At the moment she doesn’t as just as I got her I was about to get her a friend but all of the adoptions and shops have closed due to lock down. I’m very sad and have been trying my best to get her a friend, not sure what else to do in the meantime.

Hi, I give them veg every morning, usually 3 different types, for example roughly 30g each of carrot, broccoli and red pepper per pig and a small handful of readiness or similar product. In the evening they get loads of hay, which is also topped up in the morning if needed. As they only get a small amount of nuggets twice a week I don't worry too much about the calorie content of carrots and feed them often in the winter months but much less in summer when I also feed fresh grass and safe weeds. I don't feed veg high in oxalate such as spinach as I feel it is more of an issue in respect of bladder stones than calcium content is. On the days they have nuggets they get them in the evening and not instead of veg.

when I had rabbits they had strict hay and veg only diet and lived long healthy lives. They are so much worse than piggies at not eating hay if something else is on offer.

Back