• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

My Guinea pigs eye

Status
Not open for further replies.

GuineaLover21

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Can someone please tell me what might be wrong, if anything? I read on one of the threads that Guinea pigs get this whitish milky stuff in there eyes to help clean it out. My guinea pig is getting that in his left eye and I just want to make sure he is ok. I just lost my job a few months ago so as much as I would like to take him to the vet I can't because I don't have the money. Please don't judge me, I am going through a hard time right now!:(

doglovinpiggylover

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
guineas get this when they groom, if you watch next time he/she will have a root round and a clean and his/her eyes will fill with the white stuff, its fine.

GuineaLover21

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
guineas get this when they groom, if you watch next time he/she will have a root round and a clean and his/her eyes will fill with the white stuff, its fine.

There's just one problem with that, I just recently got another black and white Guinea pig and he kept bitting me really hard so I took him back to exchange him for another nice Guinea pig and not only did he bite me but he kept acting weird towards my other Guinea pig with the eye problem. He would walk real slow like around him and make this purring sound and try and get on top of him like he was trying to do the dirty. No sure, but they might have nipped each other a few times. My Guinea pig developed the whitish milky stuff in his left eye right after the black Guinea pig arrived and the black one was here since the Sunday before last Sunday and I took him back on Saturday. I am afraid the black Guinea pig might have had a disease. He still has the whitish milky stuff in his eye even though the black Guinea pig is gone. He still eats normally and drinks normally. But he also sneezes a little more than usual. Do you know what's wrong? Is it normal for it to last this long?
:0

daisyd

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
It's very hard to give advice based on a description. Is there any way you can take a picture?

The rumbling around and mounting is normal dominance behaviour when you introduce 2 guinea pigs. Am I right in thinking you now have only 1 guinea - the one with the problem eye? Are you sure this one is a male and couldn't be a girl and have been mated by the other black one?

Regarding the eye, it could be the piggy cleaning- but this goes away a few minutes after the cleaning has stopped so you wouldn't see it all the time. It could be an injury from meeting the other guinea, or an infection. It sounds like it really needs some expert diagnosis/treatment.

Would you say its getting better, worse or staying the same, and is it just the one eye that is affected?

GuineaLover21

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
It's very hard to give advice based on a description. Is there any way you can take a picture?

The rumbling around and mounting is normal dominance behaviour when you introduce 2 guinea pigs. Am I right in thinking you now have only 1 guinea - the one with the problem eye? Are you sure this one is a male and couldn't be a girl and have been mated by the other black one?

Regarding the eye, it could be the piggy cleaning- but this goes away a few minutes after the cleaning has stopped so you wouldn't see it all the time. It could be an injury from meeting the other guinea, or an infection. It sounds like it really needs some expert diagnosis/treatment.

Would you say its getting better, worse or staying the same, and is it just the one eye that is affected?

Yes I can certainly try and post pictures.

You say that the rumbling around and mounting is normal dominance behavior but isn't it a little more odd when my Guinea pig Elvis with the eye problem is like a year old now and the black one was like maybe a month or 2 or 3 months old at the most. He was way too small to be that old. I took a few pictures of him if you want to see what he looked like.

And no, I have 2 Guinea pigs because I still wanted another one because I wanted my Guinea Elvis to have a buddy. Besides that, my boyfriend is on a work trip right now out of town and there is only a 14 day return or exchange policy and he didn't have a day off anytime soon when he is supposed to get back from the trip so it would have been to late when we would have had a chance and I didn't want to keep a Guinea pig that bit me and I couldn't return it by myself because he paid for it on a debit card.

I am positive Elvis is a male for one because the petsmart I got him at only sells males and plus he has little Guinea balls and I poked it down there and his thing popped out so I know he is a male.

Also lately his breath has been stinking really bad almost like a poop smell and I have looked in his mouth on his teeth and it looks like he has the remains of some of his pellets that are wet and soggy and it has just started smelling like this like a month ago. Not sure what it's from.

?/

Reaction score
A couple of my Squigs have had this before, does he get crustie bits in the corner of his eyes too?

Also, with the rumbling & circling/mounting, 2 of my youngest piggies [who are also brothers] often do this, even when they where only a month or so old haha.
One of my 1 y/o piggies also does this to a piggie half his age if they're out together.

GuineaLover21

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
A couple of my Squigs have had this before, does he get crustie bits in the corner of his eyes too?

Also, with the rumbling & circling/mounting, 2 of my youngest piggies [who are also brothers] often do this, even when they where only a month or so old haha.
One of my 1 y/o piggies also does this to a piggie half his age if they're out together.

Well, it's only the left eye that is all whitish milky so no he doesn't have crusties in his eyes, only just a little bit in his left eye. Probably from the whitish milky stuff that has dried.

Why do they do that to each other no matter what their age? You would think they would know not to mess with a Guinea bigger or older than them.
inbreeding

GuineaLover21

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Confused

I use my boyfriends PS3 to access the internet so I am not sure how to post a picture on here because it won't let me upload my pictures to photobucket so I can post a link to them on here.

Is there anyway I can post them in a reply directly from my PS3 memory?/

GuineaLover21

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Elvis' eye

shared
:^-

Reaction score
The mounting and rumble strutting is totally normal when a new piggie is introduced no matter what the age.

As for the eye...how long has this been happening for? He may have something in his eye that it is trying to flush out.

Status
Not open for further replies.