• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

My Guinea Pig's Eyes Seem A Bit Strange?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soyata

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello,
I recently bought a second guinea pig for another piggy that I had for a while and I had noticed something strange about his eyes. I'm not certain of what it could be or if it is dangerous, but my fluffy white half-albino piggy has a very strange looking pupil.
His iris is blue and looks all fine, his eyes aren't dry or swollen or red; but his pupils are not symmetrical or round but rather rectangular like a goat or sheep's eye. Is that bad or is it just genetic? (This piggy is only 10 weeks old)

(If you look closely at the enhanced picture of the piggy you can see his pupil shape)^CF8025C6A188C6C412A46C0288DD669DA2C1A3C6753CC8DA2C^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg

Jesse's pigs

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
It looks normal to me but maybe I'm not looking right? Beautiful coloured eyes! I wouldn't worry too much unless it was red or watery or swollen etc. The piggy isn't blind no?

Soyata

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I don't believe he is blind as he will come up to me and interact with the other piggy just fine! I was just wondering if his pupil condition is unhealthy as i didn't find anything about it on the internet. I'm glad to know that it's nothing bad at least ^^

Jesse's pigs

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
If you are worried or notice any abnormal behaviour then I would see a vet but from your description and what I make of the pic I don't think you need to worry- embrace his cool shaped pupils! And I only asked about the blindness cos of his blue eyes and white fur- didn't know if that could impact on the shape of his pupils. :)

Freela

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Someone had posted about this not too long ago- her vet said that it had something to do with the membranes in the eye, but it wasn't harmful. For what it's worth, I also have a pig with one blue eye and her pupil doesn't look round to me either (it seems to change shape depending on the angle you view it from.) I wonder if it's actually pretty common but just a lot easier to see with the blue eyed pigs (even my red-eyed pigs did not have as obvious a pupil as the one with a blue eye.) I'll try to find a picture of Leela's eye for you to see!

Soyata

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Someone had posted about this not too long ago- her vet said that it had something to do with the membranes in the eye, but it wasn't harmful. For what it's worth, I also have a pig with one blue eye and her pupil doesn't look round to me either (it seems to change shape depending on the angle you view it from.) I wonder if it's actually pretty common but just a lot easier to see with the blue eyed pigs (even my red-eyed pigs did not have as obvious a pupil as the one with a blue eye.) I'll try to find a picture of Leela's eye for you to see!
I see! I only noticed my piggy's eye shape being off when I handled him during a sunny day and after checking the other guinea pig if he had the same problem it appeared that his were just fine. Although Ghost Pepper's (my blue eyed guinea pig) eyes also appear to change depending on how you look at them.

Thanks for the information though and your piggy looks really cute too :3

Status
Not open for further replies.