• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

My Guinea Pigs won't eat their Pellet food or Hay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piggie Life

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My two female Pigs are 7 weeks old and I give them Burgee's Excel Tasty Nuggets and Alfalfa Hay. They seem to occasionally eat their nuggets and I'm pretty sure they don't eat any of their hay. However when I give them veg they eat every scrap. How should I encourage them to eat their Pellets and Hay as they need the nutrients from them.

Thanks, :^-

There is nothing to worry about as long as they are eating lots of hay. You may like to give them a vitamin C supplement each day to help with their vitamin intake. I buy mine from the hay experts,crush it and put it on a slice of cucumber.

That's the problem I don't think they are eating hay even though I give them an unlimited amount.

Try them on some different hay. Meadow or timothy hay are both good. Not all pigs like all hays.

Also try putting hay in a paper bay, kitchen roll tube (cut lengthwise so they can't get their heads stuck) or a tissue box. Piggies like to explore and play so this may encourage them to eat. :)

Try them on some different hay. Meadow or timothy hay are both good. Not all pigs like all hays.

Also try putting hay in a paper bay, kitchen roll tube (cut lengthwise so they can't get their heads stuck) or a tissue box. Piggies like to explore and play so this may encourage them to eat. :)
Right I'll try that, I'm going to buy them a nice hayrack as well. But I'm also worried about them not eating their dried food.

There is nothing to worry about as long as they are eating lots of hay. You may like to give them a vitamin C supplement each day to help with their vitamin intake. I buy mine from the hay experts,crush it and put it on a slice of cucumber.
Thanks. I just discovered Hay Experts the other day, it's a great website! I've got the hay issue sorted as they ate a large amount of hay today but they still only seem to nibble on the dried food. I might try buying the Oxbow Cavy Cuisine as that has a lot of good reviews and seems the best tasting food for pigs all round.
However I don't think the vitamin supplement is necessary as they are getting loads of vitamins for the fruit & veg I give them. But thanks for the advice anyway!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back