• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

My home made Hayloft/Upper Level frame and ramp!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carma Violet

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I am so proud of my first ever attempt at wood work. I have made a frame for an old cage base to sit in, for an upper level hayloft/toilet area, and also a ramp for them to get up to it safely.

Here are some photos of my attempt! Please excuse the poo's, I am cleaning them out tomorrow, and making a new Correx base. I will also show you the frame tomorrow, without the cage base in it so you can see the construction.

Bertie (Chinook) hiding to surprise his favourite lady Gadget, who is as always out and about!
Mezzanine_03.jpg

Can anyone see Gimmick?
Mezzanine_02.jpg

Tuck and Liquorice hiding from the camera flash
Mezzanine_01.jpg

Now, even though I have made a side to the ramp, I learn't today that Tuck jumped from the top of the ramp. So I have decided to create a roof to the ramp. I have also decided to change the cage walls on upper level for a proper chicken wire and wood construction (With an open top so we can stroke them while sitting on the sofa).

Now the problem I have is that I bought this galvanised chicken wire stuff from B&Q for some garden stuff, but never used it in the end. This stuff would be perfect, but it does have a almost chalk like powder on it. I am sure this is just a residue left from the galvanising process and I am not sure wether it would be safe for the piggies. Any advice?

-Carma

Last edited:
Full marks from me for impressive wood work skills. A thousand times better than anything I could have produced! I love their ramp... it looks like proper stairs lol.

Full marks from me for impressive wood work skills. A thousand times better than anything I could have produced! I love their ramp... it looks like proper stairs lol.

Thank you :rose. I am still terrified it will collapse (Hense the house under the frame. Just in case...

-Carma

Fabulous! You have a talent there making those stairs!

Awwww wowie! That is amazing lucky pigs :)

YEY! Thank you! So glad you like it Jenny. Bertie is charging up and down the ramp chasing the ladies. They had a few days peace before he worked out where they all went.

-Carma

Awww.... lovely Bertie. I am so pleased that it has worked out well for everypig. x

Hi Carma!

Nice job - I'm sure they'll love it! Amazing that he jumped from that - he must be a true gymnast pig! hehe!

The galvanised wire is made (if it's the stuff I'm thinking of) by a machine that flash-welds the wire in a kind of mould. The powder is very likely to be zinc oxide, either from the reaction of the zinc used to galvanise the wire, or from powder placed on it to aid its removal from a mould. Either way, your best bet for peace of mind is a quick, warm water and soap wash down, then a rinse in just water. It shouldn't rust if it's been glavanised properly!

Oh, and if you have to cut it, take special care with it, it's lethal stuff sometimes.

Hi Carma!

Nice job - I'm sure they'll love it! Amazing that he jumped from that - he must be a true gymnast pig! hehe!

The galvanised wire is made (if it's the stuff I'm thinking of) by a machine that flash-welds the wire in a kind of mould. The powder is very likely to be zinc oxide, either from the reaction of the zinc used to galvanise the wire, or from powder placed on it to aid its removal from a mould. Either way, your best bet for peace of mind is a quick, warm water and soap wash down, then a rinse in just water. It shouldn't rust if it's been glavanised properly!

Oh, and if you have to cut it, take special care with it, it's lethal stuff sometimes.

Don't worry! I have special gloves for the cutting, and the exposed edges are going to be sandwiched between a wooden frame.

Thank you very much for the explaination. My brother and I thought it may have been a deposit formed from the water used during the process of being Galvanised (we beleived it may have been electrolosis). But I wasn't sure as I was certain the water used during electrolosis would be distilled and have no calcium in it.

...Anyway... The powder looks like chalk. And seems to have settled on the wire weld points. It crumbles off, so I will be buying a toothbrush to wash away the powder with warm water. I don't want to damage the galv with a wire brush. Plus cheap toothbrushes cost less.

Will let you all know how it goes!

-Carma

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back