• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

My male guineas are fighting

Thor & Loki

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi All, maybe someone can shed some light...
So I got my two male guineas in December. Since then one of them developed possible ringworm (vet did two tests and both came back negative)..Thor was covered in bald spots which is why we thought ringworm. The two guineas did fight small amounts in their cage..but I thought this was just playful behaviour. I had to separate them because of the possible ringworm. Since then Thor has gained weight.. grown back hair and looks really healthy and happy.
I bought a play pen for them and thought, well it's only been two weeks, I will try and let them into the big play pen and see how they get on. They ended up squaring off and nipping at each other..their hair and body was raised. Neither were backing down and were doing the angry guinea pig noise. I had to take Thor out as he was in complete distress and was sqeaking in a hurt sort of way. I don't know what to do...I can't keep them separated for too much longer as I don't have the actual space or equipment for keeping them separate 😔 am I going to have to give Loki away? I don't know what to do. Please help

Hi All, maybe someone can shed some light...
So I got my two male guineas in December. Since then one of them developed possible ringworm (vet did two tests and both came back negative)..Thor was covered in bald spots which is why we thought ringworm. The two guineas did fight small amounts in their cage..but I thought this was just playful behaviour. I had to separate them because of the possible ringworm. Since then Thor has gained weight.. grown back hair and looks really healthy and happy.
I bought a play pen for them and thought, well it's only been two weeks, I will try and let them into the big play pen and see how they get on. They ended up squaring off and nipping at each other..their hair and body was raised. Neither were backing down and were doing the angry guinea pig noise. I had to take Thor out as he was in complete distress and was sqeaking in a hurt sort of way. I don't know what to do...I can't keep them separated for too much longer as I don't have the actual space or equipment for keeping them separate 😔 am I going to have to give Loki away? I don't know what to do. Please help
Hello and welcome. I also have a Thor and my rainbow bridge piggie Loki.

Unfortunately they shouldn’t have been separated at the time of the ringworm. It may have permanently broken the bond. I have several boar pairs and didn’t separate when one had ringworm, as I would rather have treated ringworm than risk breaking long established bonds.

Is Thor squeaking in a submissive way? Or are both piggies chattering teeth or showing signs of aggression?

unfortunately if the bond is broken, they most likely won’t go back together. But piggies must not be kept alone. Is there a way you can separate the enclosure so that they can live as neighbours and still interact through the bars?

please have a look at the guide:Bonds In Trouble

Hello and welcome. I also have a Thor and my rainbow bridge piggie Loki.

Unfortunately they shouldn’t have been separated at the time of the ringworm. It may have permanently broken the bond. I have several boar pairs and didn’t separate when one had ringworm, as I would rather have treated ringworm than risk breaking long established bonds.

Is Thor squeaking in a submissive way? Or are both piggies chattering teeth or showing signs of aggression?

unfortunately if the bond is broken, they most likely won’t go back together. But piggies must not be kept alone. Is there a way you can separate the enclosure so that they can live as neighbours and still interact through the bars?

please have a look at the guide:Bonds In Trouble
Hi,
Great minds think alike 😉
I have a small cage, definitely not big enough for two now. I am looking into getting a c&c cage..I was hoping to have them both in there but I may get two levels and keep each one separate now, as I really don't want to get rid of Loki. They always fought as far as I remember.. and I'm worried the hair loss could have been from Loki tearing Thor's hair out. I dont see why two negative tests would come back if they had ringworm. It probably was a mistake separating them but in my head I was looking out for them and was very worried. They do seem happier separated. They are full of energy and eat A LOT! I think best thing may be just to get the cage with the two levels and keep them separate. As I would have space for this. I just want them to be happy..the behaviour I saw today was extremely worrying 😔 I read also that because they are both brothers and just 3 months old..they are extremely hormonal! This won't go away until they are over 15 months old..maybe they will get on when older?..

Hi,
Great minds think alike 😉
I have a small cage, definitely not big enough for two now. I am looking into getting a c&c cage..I was hoping to have them both in there but I may get two levels and keep each one separate now, as I really don't want to get rid of Loki. They always fought as far as I remember.. and I'm worried the hair loss could have been from Loki tearing Thor's hair out. I dont see why two negative tests would come back if they had ringworm. It probably was a mistake separating them but in my head I was looking out for them and was very worried. They do seem happier separated. They are full of energy and eat A LOT! I think best thing may be just to get the cage with the two levels and keep them separate. As I would have space for this. I just want them to be happy..the behaviour I saw today was extremely worrying 😔 I read also that because they are both brothers and just 3 months old..they are extremely hormonal! This won't go away until they are over 15 months old..maybe they will get on when older?..

I would avoid a two storey cage. You won’t actually make any more space for them and ramp area takes away space on the bottom. Also you still want them to be able to see each other and interact through the bars. C&C is definitely the way forward, and you can build it to suit you (size and shape). Please ensure that both boars have enough room. You can look at our cage size guides on here.
Cages And Hutch Guide

As long as they are happy, maintaining weight and showing normal behaviour living as neighbours, it’s the next best thing to being cage mates. I have one pig who lives surrounded by the other pairs as he’s much happier in his own space.
It’s so hard to tell you answers for the future, who knows! If there’s being hair pulling or blood drawn, chances are they won’t go back together. But who knows. I had a very dominant pig who didn’t get along well with others, but as he’s mellowed with age he is now happily bonded with one of my bereaved pigs.
It’s not just age that plays a part. Like humans, they might just never like each other. It’s all about personality matching. Unfortunately even bonded babies can permanently fall out when they reach hormonal teenage months and the bond is truly tested.

I would avoid a two storey cage. You won’t actually make any more space for them and ramp area takes away space on the bottom. Also you still want them to be able to see each other and interact through the bars. C&C is definitely the way forward, and you can build it to suit you (size and shape). Please ensure that both boars have enough room. You can look at our cage size guides on here.
Cages And Hutch Guide

As long as they are happy, maintaining weight and showing normal behaviour living as neighbours, it’s the next best thing to being cage mates. I have one pig who lives surrounded by the other pairs as he’s much happier in his own space.
It’s so hard to tell you answers for the future, who knows! If there’s being hair pulling or blood drawn, chances are they won’t go back together. But who knows. I had a very dominant pig who didn’t get along well with others, but as he’s mellowed with age he is now happily bonded with one of my bereaved pigs.
It’s not just age that plays a part. Like humans, they might just never like each other. It’s all about personality matching. Unfortunately even bonded babies can permanently fall out when they reach hormonal teenage months and the bond is truly tested.
Thank you for help it is much appreciated. 😊 I think for me spacewise, the two tier c and c cage will work best. I saw ones that are way bigger to what I own now, which means more space for them to run in. They will still be neighbours, just one above the other. I also have a huge play pen which I let them run around in for exercise..separately of course. They do honestly seem happy when on their own..they don't seem depressed one bit and they popcorn all the time. Loki seems like he is in fits sometimes and gets zoomies. I will keep you posted anyways..I'm going to be buying the cage tomorrow, so fingers crossed it will be a happier environment for both! I love them both and I'm attached to each, so giving one away isn't an option..it would break my heart 😔

Thank you for help it is much appreciated. 😊 I think for me spacewise, the two tier c and c cage will work best. I saw ones that are way bigger to what I own now, which means more space for them to run in. They will still be neighbours, just one above the other. I also have a huge play pen which I let them run around in for exercise..separately of course. They do honestly seem happy when on their own..they don't seem depressed one bit and they popcorn all the time. Loki seems like he is in fits sometimes and gets zoomies. I will keep you posted anyways..I'm going to be buying the cage tomorrow, so fingers crossed it will be a happier environment for both! I love them both and I'm attached to each, so giving one away isn't an option..it would break my heart 😔
Sorry you’re having to go to so much trouble, but unfortunately they won’t be able to interact being about each other. To prevent any future loneliness, they would be better being next to each other.
Glad you are not considering giving Loki away

:agr:
Sorry they have fallen out.
As above, separated piggies cannot live one above the other as they cannot interact that way. They must be side by side to allow for constant through the bar interaction.

I ended up finding this, and bought it..they will be by each other with a divider..so still neighbours and NOT one above the other 😊 thank you for the advice!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210125-000457_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210125-000457_Chrome.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20210125-000448_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210125-000448_Chrome.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 2
Back