• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

My New Cagee! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
:)

I know some of you are going to say, you should get another guinea pig etc etcc
i know but i take him out everyday for many hours when i'm at home, in total around 4 - 5 hours.
Plus i have a little dog which loves the guinea and they can spend hours playing together :)
I'll get another guinea pig when i see that his getting bored or lonely which at the moment his not, his a happy piggie :)
Btw his name is Booboo my sister named him! :)

Ideally your cage should be 4ft x 2ft (The Ferplast 120 is ideal and is the recommended minimum). 4ft x 2ft is the recommended minimum size for 2 guinea pigs - but you really should offer a single piggie the same amount of space as you would two of them!

Guinea pigs are herd animals so your current piggie would love a friend to play with - would you consider getting him/her a companion? If so there are lots of reputable rescues that offer piggie dating and would find your piggie the ideal match.

Have you looked at zooplus? They do the Ferplast 120 for £49.99 delivered and the Skyline Maxi XXL for £44.00 (which is the same size as the Ferplast)

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/small_pets/hutches_cages/rabbit_cage

Ferplast 120:

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/small_pets/hutches_cages/rabbit_cage/120_cm_cages/14083

Skyline Maxi XXL:

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/small_pets/hutches_cages/rabbit_cage/120_cm_cages/209457

if you do get another pig then you will need to get a bigger cage. Please be careful letting your dog play with your guinea pig as it may be extremely stressful for your guinea pig as they are prey animals and he may well see your dog as a threat. I have 4 dogs but i never leave my pigs unattended when my dogs are around as i do not trust them enough. xx

SRGiiB said:
I know some of you are going to say, you should get another guinea pig etc etcc
i know but i take him out everyday for many hours when i'm at home, in total around 4 - 5 hours.
Plus i have a little dog which loves the guinea and they can spend hours playing together
I'll get another guinea pig when i see that his getting bored or lonely which at the moment his not, his a happy piggie

My first piggie was a petshop piggie and i thought the exact same thing as you - as i was at home all day, all of us as a family would talk to him/cuddle him/play with him and so he'd never get bored - only problem is we cannot speak guinea pig!

There is nothing like seeing two pigs interact with one another - human company cannot be a substitute for another piggie - in the long run he'll be a much happier piggie :) Plus it doesn't cost much more to feed two as it does one - it dpoesn't take any more time to clean out two and i found there was much less waste with the fresh veg i bought and fed daily.

A puppy is not a good playmate for a guinea pig ?/ They are a completely different species and neither can communicate with one another.... Plus some dog breeds have hunting in their blood - i personally would never let my pigs interact with any other animal than another piggie....

I do want another guinea but my mum and dad is afraid that once i get a new one, booboo won't interact with us a much and won't be the same, they believe this as once we got a love bird and it was very loving with us but as soon as we got another one it changed and didn't want us anymore :/
i would want another male guinea pig to call it Yogi :) but i'm scared they will fight also :/
I'm not sure if guinea pigs change their attitudes once they have a companion like many animals do.

As Booboo is only 7 weeks he will still be fairly small which I'm sure makes your cage size fairly adequate. However, Booboo is going to grow and that cage is going to be far too small. I also agree with everything Sodapops and JoBo have said, especially in regards to the dog.

I can honestly say that my first boy Homer is a much more loving piggie since getting him a companion - you cannot give him constant attention - my Homer used to bite the cage bars all the time as he craved attention.

He still loves us and enjoys our company - all my pigs live in pairs and each one will come to the cage bars if called and all of them enjoy lap time. There's nothing quite like watching a group/pair of pigs interact and chat to one another - it really is a great sight x)

Ive not got any experience with birds as pets - but not all animals change their personality when paired with another of their own kind - particularly guinea pigs - they are happiest when living with their own kind....

In terms of having two boys together - don't believe everything you read - ive got 4 boys that live in pairs and they get along just great - i think they trick is either to match by personality or pair up based on age (the best is younger boar with an older boar)

Most rescues will allow you to bring your boy along and provide boar dating - which will mean your boy will find another pig that is perfectly matched.

I have a cage like this for my single guinea pig and she loves it - it is big enough for her and she goes in a seperate run anyway - i dont actually have the platform thing in though - I have made massive fleece hammocks which they sleep under

I do want another guinea but my mum and dad is afraid that once i get a new one, booboo won't interact with us a much and won't be the same, they believe this as once we got a love bird and it was very loving with us but as soon as we got another one it changed and didn't want us anymore :/
i would want another male guinea pig to call it Yogi :) but i'm scared they will fight also :/
I'm not sure if guinea pigs change their attitudes once they have a companion like many animals do.

Hi,

booboo is lovely and looks in great health:))
I have male guinea pigs , two together and they get on fine and really they love company of their own kind. The only change you would see is he might become more vocal as he 'speaks' to his friend. They are herd animals by nature and although great for humans for them to be on their own, in the piggie world a mate is best for them:))

Awww, Boo Boo is cute! He'd be even cuter with a little friend of his own kind, though. Once you see two together, you'll see the mischief they get up to! My two are always chatting and having little squabbles like two old ladies, then they snuggle up together and sleep! You won't find that they need you any less at all, you've still got to feed them, clean their cage, give them floor time, cuddle them :) Please try to convince your parents that getting another will only make them even more fun to be around!

Also, in regards to your dog, he probably does love them and is probably fascinated, but he is still a natural hunter. Dogs in particular can suddenly turn-whether it be jealousy, or a sudden urge to attack, that's why parents are advised never to leave small children or babies with them. If a dog can suddenly maul a baby, it can certainly maul your pet piggy as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back