• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

My Parents Are Getting There. Slowly...

Misty

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
In conclusion to my in or out poll and Help needed indoors? My parents have partly seen sense but we are getting some where. They have let me have Chippy in for *one* night which turned to a day and seeing as my Mum just came in and didn't smell him and he has only wheeked for food we're doing well here! Plus he has been popcorning all day. All I can smell is lushish hay. I know the cage looks small but it is the equivalent of a 2x3 c and c and I do let him have floor time nearly every day.

* not the best photo focus wasn't playing ball *
IMG_20171231_201021_hdr.jpg

Excellent news @Misty. It takes perseverance and a lot of talking with parents for them to understand pigs needs.

I was the same. I was only allowed one pig at first and he had to live in a hutch outside. I persuaded them to move him into the shed after a while.

I only ever managed to get them to allow pigs inside when a different pig had quite a nasty URI. It was actually the vet that finally convinced them to let me bring him indoors.

That's such good news! I know how long you've been trying to convince them so congrats on such a good job!

My mum was the same when I was a kid, making them live outside. Now that I have them indoors she has admitted that it's far better having them around all the time and it's more enjoyable watching their behaviours and being cheeky little monkeys :wub:

2 days inside and he loved it but he had to go back into the greenhouse when the smell got to strong even with me spot cleaning twice a day

He stays in one corner or next to the food bowl. He has half of his cage stuffed with newspaper and the bedding was the usual fleece but usually it doesn't smell. :(

Ah it was probably the newspaper, I've noticed that my cage only ever smells when their litter trays get wee on the newspaper.

I got some old towels for under the fleece and litter trays/hay trays with plenty of hay in which helps minimise smell.

Perhaps trying different bedding will help? If your parents would be willing to try again?

That makes sense as he has shredded newspaper based :doh:litter tray to minimise hay on the fleece. And I will ask if I can try again.:nod:

I use a pine based litter in the bottom of my hay tray, it's safe for piggies and fab for odours :)

My local home bargains sell wood based cat pellets for litter trays would that work?

I use a hemp bedding from zooplus in their hay trays with hay on top. Wood shavings are ok too. Not sawdust though.

Good luck.

What one do you suggest?
I'm going to school tomorrow so I will talk to them after.

My local home bargains sell wood based cat pellets for litter trays would that work?

Potentially? Might be worth asking the company that makes them if they're safe for small animals first if unsure. I use one called Pine Magic, Cissy occasionally eats a bit and she's fine lol.

Is that the Pine Magic Cat litter @Cavy Kung-Fu? How much do you use? At the mo mine are on newspaper and hay in the hutch but not happy with the newspaper at all. I have been thinking of changing it to Auboise but not had the chance to go to my local stockists about 5 miles away yet. Have tried Back 2 Nature but neither the pigs or I rated it that much.

Is that the Pine Magic Cat litter @Cavy Kung-Fu? How much do you use? At the mo mine are on newspaper and hay in the hutch but not happy with the newspaper at all. I have been thinking of changing it to Auboise but not had the chance to go to my local stockists about 5 miles away yet. Have tried Back 2 Nature but neither the pigs or I rated it that much.

Yea that's the one, I literally just do an even coverage in the hay trays and put a bit of meadow hay on top for them to munch and nap on.

I must say it's the best thing I've found for odour control which is especially important with them being in my living room!

I may have to give that a try then.

If you do I hope it works as well as it does for me! I really like the fact that it's heavy and doesn't create dust 'cause it all sinks to the bottom.

I used paper based ones before but never got on with them sadly.

I'm going to look at buying the hemp bedding they do them in bulk and really cheap as well which is excellent for me.

I feel so dumb I was thinking about Biscuit Chippy's brother and I was trying to figure out how he died so I could prevent it in Chippy and it hit me. He had an URI. Its been almost 6 months and I feel so dumb that I only just figure it out. :(

Back