• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

My pig has problem with his nose!

Kizzy77

New Born Pup
Reaction score
My 2 year old male pig has always had small amounts of what looks like small white scabs on his nose but in the top portion that's covered with fur. I never really worried about it too much as it never seemed to get worse or cause him any trouble. Just recently I have noticed that it has grown very large and is scabbing up aswell. In some areas it looks split almost. I did consider perhaps he had had a nip from the other piggy but the large amount of white crusty skin makes me think otherwise. He does not seem at all bothered and is still very happy to eat and drink and play. I was wondering if anyone had any advice or has had anything similar and can suggest what to do? I will try and include some pictures. Thank you all in advance :):)

Attachments

• 20180620_215139.jpg
    20180620_215139.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 20180620_215126.jpg
    20180620_215126.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 20180620_214949.jpg
    20180620_214949.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 20180620_214942.jpg
    20180620_214942.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 20180620_214937.jpg
    20180620_214937.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 20180619_230821.jpg
    20180619_230821.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 20180619_230839.jpg
    20180619_230839.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 20180618_233442.jpg
    20180618_233442.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 9
Your piggy really needs to see a vet.
It isn't urgent, but sooner is always better.
It could be some form of skin infection (mites, fungal) and a vet will offer a proper diagnosis and treatment.
Thankfully thee things usually clear up quite quickly once proper treatment is started.

My 2 year old male pig has always had small amounts of what looks like small white scabs on his nose but in the top portion that's covered with fur. I never really worried about it too much as it never seemed to get worse or cause him any trouble. Just recently I have noticed that it has grown very large and is scabbing up aswell. In some areas it looks split almost. I did consider perhaps he had had a nip from the other piggy but the large amount of white crusty skin makes me think otherwise. He does not seem at all bothered and is still very happy to eat and drink and play. I was wondering if anyone had any advice or has had anything similar and can suggest what to do? I will try and include some pictures. Thank you all in advance :):)

Hi and welcome!
Please have him vet checked.
Piggies can get little growths like on their nose. They are usually harmless, but you want to make sure of that once they start growing.
It could also be some fungal; only a hands-on examination can tell.

Does anybody have any idea what this could be? It has appeared on my 2 year old pigs nose and I am very worried about him

Attachments

• 20180622_001129.jpg
    20180622_001129.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 20180621_001758.jpg
    20180621_001758.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 20180620_214937.jpg
    20180620_214937.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 10
Definitely agree that a vet needs to examine, diagnose and then prescribe the correct treatment. Hope you get on ok.

Does anybody have any idea what this could be? It has appeared on my 2 year old pigs nose and I am very worried about him

Please see a vet for it promptly. There is a good chance that it could be a fungal infection (likely ringworm).

Please do not touch the spot and use very good hygiene when handling him; ringworm is highly contagious to all mammals (including humans). Do not treat before you see a vet as you make a proper diagnosis very difficult.

Be aware that you always need to treat any companions, too, to prevent them from coming down with it, too.

If the spot has come up within 2-3 weeks of puchase (UK) or 31 days (US), you can reclaim any vet cost from the pet shop by presenting the vet bill together with the sales receipt at the shop since exposure and infection have happened there.

If it is ringworm, please follow the tips in our ringworm guide in order to get on top of it once and for all; they have been learned the hard way, but that is why they work! A vet grade disinfectant is key; normal disinfectants are anti-bacterial but not anti-fungal.
Ringworm: Hygiene And Pictures

My guinea pig has recently developed a patch on his nose within the last week. It looks very dry and white... Like the skin is cracking off and with that comes the hair also. He doesn't seem to be affected by it and is still eating and playing normally. At some stages it has been bleeding as there are scabs on there also.
Yesterday I took him to my local vet. He was weighed and examined briefly. The vet said it looks like it could be fungal although he is not certain. He gave him a spot on on the back of his neck to ensure any mites or fleas are eradicated. He then prescribed some baytril antibiotics. He has recommended the dose to me etc so it is all ready to go. However after giving him his first dose (has to be done orally by syringe!) I started looking online and discovered that lots of people unfortunately seem to have had their guinea pig pass away after taking baytril. I feel like a wreck with worries and nerves! I am desperately worried for him and I really don't know what the best thing to do is. Any help would be grateley appreciated!

Attachments

• 20180622_185340.jpg
    20180622_185340.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 20180622_001145.jpg
    20180622_001145.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 20180621_001709.jpg
    20180621_001709.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 20180620_214937.jpg
    20180620_214937.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 1
Hi @Kizzy77 I have merged your three threads together in one place as you are getting helpful responses which are being ignored. Please ensure you review the helpful information the forum members have provided.

If you have more questions relating to this illness then please keep all questions on this thread and do not create further threads for the same topic. Thanks.

Hi @Kizzy77 I have merged your three threads together in one place as you are getting helpful responses which are being ignored. Please ensure you review the helpful information the forum members have provided.

If you have more questions relating to this illness then please keep all questions on this thread and do not create further threads for the same topic. Thanks.
That is most upsetting. I just panic so much about my pig

Your piggy really needs to see a vet.
It isn't urgent, but sooner is always better.
It could be some form of skin infection (mites, fungal) and a vet will offer a proper diagnosis and treatment.
Thankfully thee things usually clear up quite quickly once proper treatment is started.
Thank you for your help. Piggy has been to the vets and has been given baytril. All I can hope now is that the antibiotics don't send him into stasis and kill him.

Please see a vet for it promptly. There is a good chance that it could be a fungal infection (likely ringworm).

Please do not touch the spot and use very good hygiene when handling him; ringworm is highly contagious to all mammals (including humans). Do not treat before you see a vet as you make a proper diagnosis very difficult.

Be aware that you always need to treat any companions, too, to prevent them from coming down with it, too.

If the spot has come up within 2-3 weeks of puchase (UK) or 31 days (US), you can reclaim any vet cost from the pet shop by presenting the vet bill together with the sales receipt at the shop since exposure and infection have happened there.

If it is ringworm, please follow the tips in our ringworm guide in order to get on top of it once and for all; they have been learned the hard way, but that is why they work! A vet grade disinfectant is key; normal disinfectants are anti-bacterial but not anti-fungal.
Ringworm: Hygiene And Pictures

Also the advice is NOT being ignored as it clearly says I have taken him to the vet. You obviously chose to 'ignore' that bit of my post. You have also now messed up the page and I am unable to find and follow my posts properly so thumbs down for you :(
AND it keeps coming up with an error to say I cannot reply to the feedback I was given!

That is most upsetting. I just panic so much about my pig

Why is it upsetting for you? It is what we ask of all our members as it's hard to give newer advice if we don't know what's happened along the way.

Do you know if your vet is particularly knowledgeable with guinea pigs or what diagnosis they made? If it is fungal then antibiotics won't cure the condition but there are several medications that can treat it directly

Also the advice is NOT being ignored as it clearly says I have taken him to the vet. You obviously chose to 'ignore' that bit of my post. You have also now messed up the page and I am unable to find and follow my posts properly so thumbs down for you :(
AND it keeps coming up with an error to say I cannot reply to the feedback I was given!

Please mind your attitude as I am trying to help you here and only asking that you follow the same rules that everyone else has to follow. I have not ignored any part of your post but it's helpful for those who commented on your first post to be able to follow what has happened since to be able to offer further advice or suggestions.

I will also add that the error message should not be as a result of the merge but perhaps @sport_billy can look into this for you

I will also just mention that in my time on the forum I am not aware of a single piggy that has died from taking baytril. However it is worth noting that baytril is the only antibiotic that is licenced for guinea pig use and as such will be prescribed for a wide range of infections, some much more progressed than others. I have had a piggy pass after taking baytril but it wasn't the baytril that did it - it was the pneumonia, abscess and other complications that took her

Back