• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

My Piggy Has A Fungal Infection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ami Norman

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
hi I visited my local vet last night with my Piggys and one has a fungal infection all over her face, some of the things that are concerning me is that the vet said it was okay for both my piggies to carry on living together even though only one has the infection and it could be passed on, this worries me first of all as surely they should be kept apart and does anyone know how long it takes for it to go away my piggy has such beautiful hair and its getting ruined by this horrible infection and I feel helpless does anyone have any advice, much appreciated.

My Tubby had ringworm, he had a big read sore at the side of his nose with hair missing, I was devastated and so upset. I initially panicked, but after reading the articles and with help from the forum, we soon had it under control. Its great you've visited the vet as its best to treat these fungal infections as soon as possible. I followed the the forum guidance step by step. There was allot involved, but it became routine and I didn't think anymore of it. I actually had allot of fun bathing my boys. I was advised to keep my boys together and it never spread from one to the other. I bathed the one without infection in the medication (Imavrol) first, followed by the infected Piggie afterwards. I ensured the room was nice and warm to do this and dried them thoroughly before I put them back. I repeated this every 3 days and cleaned their cage with F10 at the same time. There blanckets were washed every 3 days at 60c.

I was told from the vet "its important to find out which type of fungal infection it is to ensure the right medication is applied" however I was recommended a specific type of medication and was advised to bath them in it rather than just dab it on and it worked super quick. I told the vet what I done and he was impressed and said he must remember this medication and application procedure.

Last edited:
Did the vet confirm if it was Ringworm? or a different type of fungal? Ideally if they are staying together both pigs will need to be treated. I can see the vets logic for keeping them together though as any contamination will already have occurred as they have been together up to now and fungal spores are airborne. What treatment has the vet recommended?

Here is our Ringworm guide which also covers the important hygiene measures that are needed:

Ringworm: Hygiene And Pictures

he didn't specify what fungal infection it was, and the medication I was given is sucolan?, haven't got the box handy, so do you think it may be better to bath them in it?, and what's f10 sorry I'm a new piggy owner only had them a week so I'm devastated this has happened :(

he didn't specify what fungal infection it was, and the medication I was given is sucolan?, haven't got the box handy, so do you think it may be better to bath them in it?, and what's f10 sorry I'm a new piggy owner only had them a week so I'm devastated this has happened :(
The F10 I used to clean my boys cage, it kills bacteria as well as fungus and spoars which may spread. I've only used Imavrol for Ringworm, I have had no other experience with anyother treatments I'm affraid, so I cannot advise on application of what you we're prescribed. If in doubt I'd definitely follow the vets instructions.

As far as I am aware Surolan is a topical treatment, like a cream so you can't bath them in it and it will only treat the area that it is applied to.

Am sorry, this has happened so soon, sadly it is not uncommon for new piggies to come down with this due to the stress of settling into a new home. How old are your piggies? The main treatment we recommend on here is Imaverol dips. I will post the link below. You basically dip the pig and don't rinse it off. It is also gentle enough to use on babies. You would need to do a minimum of 4 dips.

http://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/Enilconazole-100mg_ml-100ml/productinfo/ENILCON/

Your vet may even be able to supply it if you didn't want to buy online and it may be best to run it past them first anyway.

F10 is an anti-fungal cage cleaner, but they also sell handgel and handwash which are also effective when treating pigs with fungal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back