• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

My piggy won’t take her medicine

penelope.jo

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi all, my piggy is currently on Baytril and WILL NOT TAKE IT. I know I’m just supposed to be in control but I literally cannot get the syringe in her mouth. I have started squirting it onto a carrot and she eats the carrot. Do you think that is okay? Any other advice?

Carrot isn't the best thing to be giving her every time she has to have the medicine. And you can't guarantee that she will take the correct dosage that way. I'll post a link to a video someone put on here. Perhaps have a look and see how you can change your technique. The video (and photos) are further down the guide.
Complete Syringe Feeding Guide

Hi all, my piggy is currently on Baytril and WILL NOT TAKE IT. I know I’m just supposed to be in control but I literally cannot get the syringe in her mouth. I have started squirting it onto a carrot and she eats the carrot. Do you think that is okay? Any other advice?

Hi!

Baytril is about the most foul tasting medication, so getting it in is not quite easy.

I find that a mix of piggy whispering (asserting my friendly dominance while ensuring at the same time that the piggy is still loved) and controlling the piggy with one hand my upper body (which helps to limit wiggling and head movement) does help to get the syringe from the side via the gap between incisors and back teeth.
Piggy whispering tips: Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering And Cuddling Tips

Hold (with either hand):
IMG_0071_edited-1.jpg IMG_6083_edited-1-1.jpg
Follow up with syringing water or something else stronger tasting to wash away the bad flavour.

Training for medication and syringe feeding support: Syringe Training Before The Need For Medicating

Back