• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

My Pigs Can't Get Sick Off Me Can They?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suze5202

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I've got viral laryngitis at the moment. My pigs can't get it can they? Only reason I ask is one has already had a URI and I don't want them to get sick again.

Though a break from the squeaking for a little while might be nice!

As far as I know, piggies cannot catch human viruses. But I'm no expert.

It is pretty rare that guinea pigs catch something off us; there is only very episodal evidence at the best. Generally, apart from ringworm, there are very few things that cross the species boundaries between guinea pig and humans.

However, it would be wise not to handle your guinea pigs any more than necessary and to use good hygiene before and after you feed or interact with them in any way, especially if neither you and your piggy are well.

I hope that you recover both soon!

Fortunately my OH is very understanding and is happy to clean the ladies out and they will hand feed veggies from him. As for being handled, they hate being picked up anyway so they'll be quite happy to be left alone for a bit!

Meanwhile I'll lie on the couch feeling sorry for myself and watching crap telly. But I may have no voice for up to a month!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back