• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

My pigs

Is that your cat? They are gorgoeus! What is their name?

For now, I keep them separate. I need to neuter Mango, but he is such a sensitive soul and hates riding in the car :D My girlfriend's girl pig had ovariohysterectomy ( hope I said it right :D ) as a treatment after pyometra diagnosis.

If she’s been spayed then there’s no need to have him neutered. As far as I can see an ovariohysterectomy removes the ovaries, uterus and uterine horns

I know. I am just concerned if he is going to show signs of aggression when I leave them unsupervised. I prefer to leave them separate when we are not with them.

I know. I am just concerned if he is going to show signs of aggression when I leave them unsupervised. I prefer to leave them separate when we are not with them.

If they are safe to be bonded , then they are better off to be tried to be bonded. Piggies will only fight if they aren’t compatible. If it turns out she won’t accept him then they will need to be kept separate but bonding is worth a try . If you start a thread of your Own we can advise you on what to do instead of using somebody else’s thread

@Jimmie O'Chutt

I am moving your posts about you piggy to a separate thread we are taking over the OP thread which is not how forums work especially in the heath and illness section

I see on the other thread you have said that he is particular and you don’t trust him. What do you mean by this?
Has he ever physically been bonded with another piggy? If not, then you can’t know how he will react. Through bar interaction is no way of gauging how two piggies will be when bonded.

Guinea pigs are particular in that if they don’t match personalities they won’t get on. But you can’t assume he won’t get on with your sow. You should try bonding and if it doesn’t work out then they can go back to living alongside each other. Have a read of the guides below. There’s no reason not to try.
Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics
Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs

The important thing to remember is that bonding needs to be done in a neutral area. If successful then you have to clean the cage thoroughly and rearrange things. If you don’t they can see it as an invasion of territory. Two of everything including hides and bottles/hay areas. Minimum space 120x60cm though bigger is always better.

PS I hope you don’t put them together during floor or lap time. You can’t do that. Either they’re together or they’re not.

Back