My Rabbit Frustrations :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jennifer D

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello,

I know a lot of people on the forum also have rabbits as pets so I'm hoping someone has some advice for me. I have a 10 month old flemish giant rabbit that I've had since four months old. She's happy and healthy aside from the fact that about a month ago, I noticed scabbing inside her right ear. From looking on the internet I determined that it was mites. I took her to the vet the next day and they treated her with a kitten dosage of Revolution and scraped out the scabbing in her ear. Now, she has them again! It was recommended that I get rid of all the straw that I was using to bottom the enclosure she was in. I got rid of all the straw, sanitized, and started using blankets inside her house instead. I also lined the floor of her pen with carpets. Now they figure it's from the hay. Well, what am I supposed to do about that? She needs to eat hay...! It costs me $180 every time I take her to the vet for treatment. I'm long fighting with the mice in her enclosure but that's just an endless struggle that I never see myself winning. Could the mites be coming from the mice? I clean out her house every day as well as her food and water bowls. She's a really happy, active rabbit aside from the mites. I read that some people will treat the ears themselves with witch hazel diluted in water. Has anyone ever had success with this? Thanks!

Tagging in a few posters I know with Bunnies @piggyfan @BossHogg @biscandmatt

Maybe try www.forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/forum.php for advice. I would also try another vet.
I agree. The vet that I took her to was atrocious and I really wasn't impressed. She didn't know anything about giant rabbit breeds and their feeding. She told me it was wrong to feed them alfalfa hay at any point in their life when everything I had read and been told by breeders insisted that alfalfa be fed until at least 6 months and sometimes until 8 in giant breeds. I also only give her fresh vegetables twice a week and was scolded for that- this being when she was only 5 months and I thought that they shouldn't have veggies until 6 months. I was really not impressed with her. She said she couldn't scrape out all of the scabbing and I wonder if that is where the mites have popped up from this time. So frustrated.

i would join the rabbit forum and ask on there. alot of very knowledgeable bunny people on there. jacks jane in particular may have some ideas. :)
Can you recommend a forum? The american one I joined was so rude about her living outside. She has a massive 16 foot by 12 foot enclosure that is heated and she gets more time with me there than she would inside. I tried her inside and she was clearly miserable. She was born outside and raised outside so I've taken every precaution to keep her out there. Hopefully there are some friendlier forums out there.

Can you recommend a forum? The american one I joined was so rude about her living outside. She has a massive 16 foot by 12 foot enclosure that is heated and she gets more time with me there than she would inside. I tried her inside and she was clearly miserable. She was born outside and raised outside so I've taken every precaution to keep her out there. Hopefully there are some friendlier forums out there.
Oh sorry, just realized that you already gave me a name for a forum!

yes, it's rabbits united. the sister site to this one. they're lovely on there so hopefully will have some advice. :)

Argh! I am so not impressed. The Revolution, which is what the vet applied, is meant to be applied in doses once per month for AT LEAST THREE DOSES! My vet gave her one dose and didn't even scrape all of the scabbing off her ear. No wonder the mites came back - or really, never left. I am so mad. Vet trips are NOT cheap and I am certainly not made of money. Really irritated right now. I am trying to find out if I can purchase revolution at the pet store, otherwise I'll have to take her to the "out of town" vet that is highly recommended and has been working with flemish giant breeders for years now. This is what I received from quite a few rabbit websites .... "A kitten dose of Revolution is applied between the shoulder blades and is repeated once a month for at least three doses." The vet clinic will not be receiving a good review from me.

RU is definitely the best forum for all things bunny, I'm on there as well as I have 3 furry mischief makers. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back