• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Mysterious squeaking while pooping?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Piggies appear 'fluffed' when unwell as they trap warm air between layers of their hair - a couple of my herd girls 'fluff' up when eating together to try and make themselves look more menacing rolleyes
What time is your appointment ? I'd still get him checked over :)

Ahh yeah I have noticed him doing it, that's probably why then.
The vets aren't open on a Sunday so I will have to wait until tomorrow I guess :/

I've given him a little salad of dried cranberries and watery veg. Hopefully that should perk him up a bit and give him liquid.

Last night was the worst thing ever :(

Just got back from the vets. Would have gone sooner but George needed an MOT done on the car. She gave him a look over and concluded a bad case of cystitis and gave me Baytril to administer twice a day starting tomorrow as she gave him an injection today. She also gave me some Fibreplex (x3 a day) as he has bad diarrhea and that should help his stomach. Just can't remember if she said I should start today or not! Probably should really as I don't think she gave him anything while we were there for his stomach.

Hope he feels better soon x

Did the vet not suggest an xray to check for stones?

If it is cystitis am not sure that Baytril will be that effective. I help at a guinea pig clinic and the lady that runs it is an expert in bladder conditions, whether it is stones or cys**** and I could put some information together for you. Diet is a big factor in these types of conditions though. Is he still bleeding now and how is the diahrrhea?

How is his diarrhea? Baytril can unfortunately cause diarrhea itself or make it worse.

If symptoms don't get better within 3 days of treatment, please have him seen again re. stones and a better antibiotic like septrin (ca. 0.5 ml twice daily). You may have to sign a form that he is being treated with a non-licensed medication on your responsibility.

Aww poor McMac :(

I echo what everyone else has said. Please ask your vet for Septrin if you see no improvement within 3 days . Cut out all fruit and veg, feed unlimited hay and make sure he drinks plenty of water to keep him hydrated.

Is the diarrhea a smelly watery consistancy or is it like toothpaste?

My Erin had to have an antibiotic injection yesterday too. She had an upset stomach over night but her poo's are normal again now. She is off veg until tomorrow though.

Did the vet not suggest an xray to check for stones?

If it is cystitis am not sure that Baytril will be that effective. I help at a guinea pig clinic and the lady that runs it is an expert in bladder conditions, whether it is stones or cys**** and I could put some information together for you. Diet is a big factor in these types of conditions though. Is he still bleeding now and how is the diahrrhea?

She gave him belly a massage and he emptied his bladder so she said that should be a good sign there isn't anything blocking his urine like stones etc. She said if he doesn't start perking up in a few days to bring him straight back in and they can do further tests.
She did a pH test on his urine and said there was a lot of blood in there but the blood I found on the towel from him trying to pass droppings, and his diarrhea is starting to improve bit by bit with the fibreplex.

Stones don't necessarily block the urine, they can do but just because he pee'd does not mean he has no stones, best to get an xray doen to rule it out. I agree that you will need to ask for Septrin, the Baytril will make the diarrhea worse.

I second this advice from helen, we had a guinea pig with a very severe & far-gone case of stones before we realised there was anything going on & it never stopped him from weeing or blocked his urine. In fact at x-ray it was shown that the stones were in his kidneys so wouldn't have interfered with his mechanical ability to urinate at all.

We needed x-ray & bloods (to test kidney function) to diagnose our guinea properly & we had this done at an exotics vet with a speciality in small mammals. If your vet is a general vet rather than exotics, I would as them to refer you on or just find an exotics vet yourself. I would only have these type of tests or any dort of anaesthetic done on our piggies by our exotics vet, the general practics vets just don't see enough guineas to have the required experience.

Best wishes to McMac

Our Exotics don't like Baytril as the Vet I had a discussion with states it does cause anorexia in piggies so a poorly piggy that isn't eating can be a nightmare.
Septrin and Metacam are the best meds. for McMac for cystitis, Baytril is the only licensed ABX so many general vets will be shy of using it but we've had good results from this combination. Did you have any pain relief to bring home ?
If he's not drinking much, try syringing small amounts of water with unsweetened Cranberry juice - we swear by it for bladder piggies and the Exotics we use admit it does no harm but will not solve the problem.
With diarrhoea in piggies, you run the risk of him dehydrating so fluids are paramount - I have used a tiny amount of Dioralyte to replace Electrolyte balance in a dehydrated piggy (only as an emergency measure) and Fibreplex to help form poops.
Keep us posted on your boy, healing vibes sent x>>

Yes I agree you should ask for Septrin and get him booked in for an xray soon as. My boy Junior had a bladder stone removed 3 weeks ago it was massive enough to cripple a horse yet when the vet felt his bladder she never felt a thing and he was still able to urinate, the longer (if there is a stone) left the worse it will get.

Its just I have no money until saturday. George paid for his vet visit and I dont know if he could stretch to another. I will ask though. I will also ask my mum and see if she can help with costs. I havent seen any improvement in his behaviour and its got me a little worried. Its only been like 3 days but I cant see any improvement. If anything I am worried he has started acting worse :(

Do you guys think I should go to the vets asap?

I've just been sat looking at him for the past while and I am not getting a good feeling from the look in his eyes...maybe it's just me...

To be honest if he were mine, I would want him x rayed asap. I am concerned that there hasn't been any improvement. If the baytril was going tk work, you would have seen a bit of improvement by now.

Poor McMac and (((hugs)))

Please get hm to the vet as soon as possible, he needs to be seen. Is there any way your vet would let you pay in instalments?

To be honest if he were mine, I would want him x rayed asap. I am concerned that there hasn't been any improvement. If the baytril was going tk work, you would have seen a bit of improvement by now.

Poor McMac and (((hugs)))

When he had baytril for the, what we believed was, UTI a few weeks ago he seemed to improve after the first couple of doses. And that was on once a day. He is on twice a day and still no improvement

I just checked him to see if his penis had any kind of grit that might indicate a stone. Anyway I was having a feel and on his stomach, just above his penis, I felt what I can only think is an enlarged urethrae, from the position etc. It may be from an infection of the area. I tried pressing on it gently and he didn't squeal but he did start gently wheeking and his bottom did start to twitch like there was something sensitive going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back