• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Mystery blood

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I cleaned out the boys yesterday and noticed that where Smudge had been lying there was a surprising amount of blood. I checked both Smudge and Boo for signs of injury but found none and they both seemed normal and perky. My last piggie Billiam died from bladder stones so I was naturally horrifed to find blood in the cage again.

Suspecting it was Smudge I had him out on his own last night on a white towel, plied him with cucumber but his wee came out clear! Popped him back in his cage later that night and he dribbled a bit of watery blood on the hay, almost like the little tinker was hiding it from me!

To make absolutely certain I have the right pig I've got them both out on separate white towels tonight where they are weeing lots but so far no blood at all! I made an appointment for Smudge to see the vet but there now appears to be nothing wrong.

What could cause occasional bleeding with no notable discomfort?

doglovinpiggylover

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
the last pig i had with bladder stones was like this, he had a kind of see through watery blood for ages before anything else happened like squeaking when peeing etc, i would go the vets for a check just to be sure, because i think if it is stones, the earlier the better as they can be really painful for the piggies.

Sending vibes for Smudge, really hope it isnt stones x

Reaction score
The amount of blood in the cage last night was quite surprising and it was bright red, and now, absolutely nothing, not even pink wee.

He's still going to the vets though, I don't want to make the same mistakes as I felt I did with Billy :(

Reaction score
Since I last posted about Smudge there have been further developments.

He started to pee what looked like pure blood so it was clear something was wrong. The vet couldn't feel any stones and suggested a week on Baytril in case it was cystitis. If that didn't work then he'd have to go back for a scan. The Baytril seemed to clear it up a little but there was still some visisble blood in his urine but not as bad as before. I also started to weigh him daily and noticed he was dropping 10 grams a day.

On the second visit to the vet he had an ultrasound which showed no sign of any stones (phew!). She was unable to get any blood or urine from him so we collected a urine sample at home and took it to her for testing. It showed there was still some blood in his urine and crystals. He is now on 1ml of paediatric Septrin twice daily which sounds a lot. Does this sound about right for a piggie weighing 1200g?

I can happily report that he has gained 20 grams since I last weighed him though so I'm very relieved about that!

Lady Kelly

Staff member
Reaction score
oh bless the poor little boy! I don't know anything about the meds but I'm glad they seem to be doing the trick and that he's gaining weight

Pebble

Banned
Reaction score
He is now on 1ml of paediatric Septrin twice daily which sounds a lot. Does this sound about right for a piggie weighing 1200g?

Paed septrin has a drug concentration of 48mg/ml so your piggie is being given 40mg/kg body weight.

This is a slightly higher dose than recommended on guinea lynx who recommend 30mg/kg. However my vet has used the higher 40mg/kg dose of septrin with my pigs with no ill effects.

Sometimes a piece of grit/sludge/small stone can be successfully passed which causes the sudden show of blood ..following which the symptoms are reduced.

Glad to hear Smduge is putting on wieght and there is no sign of stones.

HTH
xx

Status
Not open for further replies.