• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Nail clipping - from cute to pure evil

Oh dear haha! I feel your pain so much, my Rosie is the same. Such a loving pig but a right diva for nails. She even nips to get away! Little madam. But I found shoving a green bean or lettuce leaf infront of her face is enough to keep her distracted long enough for my to do a paw. I normally pace myself and do one or two paws a day more for my sake so I don’t have a minor heart attack. :xd:

Oh dear haha! I feel your pain so much, my Rosie is the same. Such a loving pig but a right diva for nails. She even nips to get away! Little madam. But I found shoving a green bean or lettuce leaf infront of her face is enough to keep her distracted long enough for my to do a paw. I normally pace myself and do one or two paws a day more for my sake so I don’t have a minor heart attack. :xd:
Haha - same! I do a foot a day. But the vegetable thing doesn’t work because it’s gone quicker than I can do the first toe 😂

The only time a pig has ever drawn blood (mine in fact!) was at nail clipping time! It was around the time of the World Cup where the footballer Suarez bit another player’s shoulder so I dubbed her Suarez on occasion as a nick name.

My boy Ragnar is a total pest when it comes to nails. I wait till he is very sleepy (preferably waking him up, sorry!) pick him up, stroke him, then quickly cut the nails of two of his feet before he gets too awake/ squirmy! I can usually do his hind legs like that but his front paws... well... I’ve learned to hold him whilst keeping my fingers out of the way of his teeth! I tend to manage a few nails then do the rest the next day or so.

He then usually struts around for a few minutes in a total huff shoving everything out of his way before settling with a sigh and grumpy face!

The only time a pig has ever drawn blood (mine in fact!) was at nail clipping time! It was around the time of the World Cup where the footballer Suarez bit another player’s shoulder so I dubbed her Suarez on occasion as a nick name.

My boy Ragnar is a total pest when it comes to nails. I wait till he is very sleepy (preferably waking him up, sorry!) pick him up, stroke him, then quickly cut the nails of two of his feet before he gets too awake/ squirmy! I can usually do his hind legs like that but his front paws... well... I’ve learned to hold him whilst keeping my fingers out of the way of his teeth! I tend to manage a few nails then do the rest the next day or so.

He then usually struts around for a few minutes in a total huff shoving everything out of his way before settling with a sigh and grumpy face!
Haha! Oh dear. It seems that the general consensus is that guinea pig nail cutting is a nightmare and not for the faint hearted 🙈🤣

My best advice is do it quick and don't mess around. I have a few that still get a bit squirmy but i have different techniques for different pigs depending on how they react.
Rears are easy the fronts are more problematic but a treat after the cutting gives them satisfaction that they fought with pride and valour but will always lose the battle.
:))

My best advice is do it quick and don't mess around. I have a few that still get a bit squirmy but i have different techniques for different pigs depending on how they react.
Rears are easy the fronts are more problematic but a treat after the cutting gives them satisfaction that they fought with pride and valour but will always lose the battle.
:))
I like this technique. I will go at it with a more positive attitude (and cucumber) next time 🤣

Tallulah is so cute and beautiful.
I am a total wimp about nail trimming and always go to the vet nurse
Ha ha thank you. She is cute and beautiful (and she knows it 🤣).
To be fair actually, she isn’t all that bad after reading about other people’s experiences 😳

Oh she’s beautiful! And looks so angelic. Gorgeous colour.
This is Sookie - my quieter piglet who’s rear left foot is black. I did make her black toe bleed once and she squealed! She is a peaceful soul though and so just hid with her head under my chin as if to say “why would you do that to me mum, why?!” I’m still getting over it.

Sookie looks like my RB pig Miss Mollie. Big fluffy monster!
B33C3081-1D0B-4F13-A7EF-A42EB8409D1E.jpeg

Sookie looks like my RB pig Miss Mollie. Big fluffy monster!
View attachment 106017
Oh she is! What a gorgeous picture. I’ve not seen any others of Sookie’s Colouring. I don’t even know what breed she is. I was told she’s a texel but I think she looks more like a Swiss teddy?

I didn’t even think you could take them for nail trimming. I might look into this as it seems a lot of you do it!

Yup, just tell the vet you'd like their nails clipped and the vet nurse will usually do it. I know price varies, but I think I used to pay around £15 for them both.

Our vet nurse charges £8.50 for a piggy pedicure and usually they're happy to do a quick general health and weight check too, last time we had the nurse show us how to clean boar bits and it didnt cost any extra! Its quite useful for the vet to have their usual healthy piggy weight logged on the computer in case they get ill.

length looks great, sometimes I go shorter then that on my pigs so that I can get away with not clipping for 2 months :)

Oh I really would - I’m just too scared 😂

I know the feeling! It took me 7 months of practice (and thankfully, I have never cut the quick eeek) just to stop shaking because I was terrified! :D
I remember the first time I cut their nails, it actually took me 2 hours because I was terrified and the vet was booked up

I know the feeling! It took me 7 months of practice (and thankfully, I have never cut the quick eeek) just to stop shaking because I was terrified! :D
I remember the first time I cut their nails, it actually took me 2 hours because I was terrified and the vet was booked up
I’ve cut the quick on my other piggy and it’s scarred me for life 😢

Back