Nail Clipping Recommendations

GeoC

Junior Guinea Pig
Joined
Nov 26, 2025
Messages
22
Reaction score
69
Points
170
Location
Dorset
Hi,

Can anyone recommend a good pair of nail clippers, both my boars have black nails, it’s very hard to cut due to not being able to see the quick. I thought I’d check before I take them to the vets to have it done.

My oldest boy 14 months old has a nail curling slightly now so I want to see to this quickly.

FYI we cut them every two weeks but we not small amounts due to not being able to see the quick

Thanks
 
I have a black piggy and wimp out with nail clipping.
We go to the vet nurse every couple of months but I’m lucky in having an independent vet who doesn’t charge the earth
 
IMG_3818.webp
These are the nail clippers we have. They are small.

I really struggle with black nails. Little & often is what I aim for, and one paw a day. Sometimes it’s just a nail a day, until they are all done.

Herman(4 black paws) has fallen out with me today, as I cut the quick on the first nail, and we abandoned any hope of continuing with nails today.

(Sorry that’s Wally’s behind in the photo.)
 
I personally use nail clippers specifically for rodents, which is the same design as on the picture provided by @AidaB, but I've also seen people use normal 'human' nail clippers. It really depends on what you're comfortable with. With black nails, I also tend to put flashlight on on my phone and shine it under the nail to see where the blood supply to the nail ends, and if I'm unsure I tend to cut little bit off and then come back to it again in a week's time.

As an alternative, some rescues offer grooming/nail clipping services for small donation that saves you the trouble. I now get free nail clipping as part of my membership with a vet, so that might be an option for you to explore as well.

Hope that helps :)
 
Hi yes as above I use a combination of the scissor type and human type nail clippers. I have a few bits with black nails and I definitely recommend little and often but it always a tense moment for me. Some say you can feel a slight change in texture or you can judge it by where they start to curl and finally that if you slowly squeeze the nail f you are too close your guinea will react before you actually cut. 💐
 
Yeah, I also use a small human nail clippers. I used to use the small animal/rodent nail clippers, but I found it more difficult to use, plus I always had to ask hubby do it while I carry the piggy coz I can't properly see the nails while cutting it.
 
Back
Top