Nail Clipping - still feared after 24 years!

VickiA

Staff member
Reaction score
Just thought I’d share this thought with you all. I’ve kept piggies for well over 20 years. And clipping the nails of my own piggies still fills me with angst.

Today MrA and I caught all 6 of our piggies and gave them a pedicure. They have to be some of the squirmiest, squeakiest piggies ever! Today Holly and Boris were the only ones who didn’t scream with every clip of the clippers. The other 4 sounded like they were being murdered. Worst culprit was Ralphie. So much for being a brave, manly boar. Next worst was Hazel (who incidentally is the squirmiest piggy, too). Evie felt the need to bite and tug my clothes & then the skin on the back of my hand to let me know her great displeasure. Iris (14 pink and white toes) insisted on jumping as if she’d received an electric shock with each nail clipped as well as squeaking with each clip.

Job done for another few weeks. Should give my nerves enough time to recover.....

piggieminder

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I did my lot yesterday, they all have a mixture of colours, thicknesses and temperaments, I'm sure they pick up on my nervousness and play up. I've been watching Saskia at LA Guinea Pig Rescue on YouTube and she makes it look so easy. Yesterday I set up a work station with everything I needed at a good height. Full of confidence I started clipping - no more wrestling matches with OH holding a wriggling piggy, this is going to be done the Saskia way. Sweet Peanut was a dream, his scary black nails were clipped in no time. Forget it with the rest of them back to the two man wrestle. I shall keep trying though these little balls of flying fluff and big teeth will not defeat me and my clippers. :))

Bill & Ted

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I did my lot yesterday, they all have a mixture of colours, thicknesses and temperaments, I'm sure they pick up on my nervousness and play up. I've been watching Saskia at LA Guinea Pig Rescue on YouTube and she makes it look so easy. Yesterday I set up a work station with everything I needed at a good height. Full of confidence I started clipping - no more wrestling matches with OH holding a wriggling piggy, this is going to be done the Saskia way. Sweet Peanut was a dream, his scary black nails were clipped in no time. Forget it with the rest of them back to the two man wrestle. I shall keep trying though these little balls of flying fluff and big teeth will not defeat me and my clippers. :))
It’s the thumbs that get me, I find the thumbs so difficult to cut, they are always hidden away with the other nails somehow! luckily the girls have light nails but Bill and Ted with their black nails where so much harder to see 🥴

VickiA

Staff member
Reaction score
I love your description of the 2 man wrestle. That’s exactly how it was with ours today:yikes:

VickiA

Staff member
Reaction score
It’s the thumbs that get me, I find the thumbs so difficult to cut, they are always hidden away with the other nails somehow! luckily the girls have light nails but Bill and Ted with their black nails where so much harder to see 🥴
Older piggy curly thumbs... trying to gently prise them out from the rest of the toes...

Seeshell

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I’ve just trimmed both my piggies nails for the first time ever tonight. I was surprised how well it went, without any squeaks! Very pleased with myself as these are the first piggies I’ve ever had x

Lorcan

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I refused to do it, point blank. Especially when I had B & C, I have a hand tremor anyway but the minute something happens to boost my heart rate, even slightly, I can barely hold even a cigarette still. No way would I risk nail clipping with that. It was vets or nothing, heh.
C wasn't a problem really. He'd just sit and let you do it with that mournful "why must you do this evil thing to me" look. B, on the other hand, I thought he had 3 black feet and 1 white foot for ages because I never got the chance to see them properly. Even when the vet did them as I held him, you had to be quick or he'd nip hard and it was a matter of getting it done as quickly as possible. I felt a bit guilty when I realised I had the black and white foot ratios muddled up :oops:

VickiA

Staff member
Reaction score
I’ve just trimmed both my piggies nails for the first time ever tonight. I was surprised how well it went, without any squeaks! Very pleased with myself as these are the first piggies I’ve ever had x
Wow! I’ll send mine round! 😆
Me, too. Well done @Seeshell - you must teach me your piggy hypnosis trick!