• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Nail clipping.

DonDon121405

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Top tips for cutting nails please? Vet checked them when we took them for a health check 4 weeks ago and said they didn’t need doing. They aren’t curling over or anything but I am not sure how to trim them and we still haven’t managed to get the piggies to sit with us for too long. I’ve checked some you tube videos but there is no way our boys will let us get hold of them long enough and I am terrified of hurting them or making them bleed 😫

If your piggies have clear nails you should be able to see where it's red because of the quick and only clip the white tips off. If your piggies have dark nails you can try and shine a light under the nail or just clip the very ends off and do it a little at a time, over multiple days if needed (like me). Some piggies are very dramatic and squeak even if you didn't cut the quick but isn't worry they soon get over it with a treat. Don't worry too much about making them bleed it happens to everyone. Just have some cornflour on hand to dab on the nail and the bleeding should stop nice and quickly.

As for keeping them still is there someone who could hold the piggy for you leaving you with 2 free hands to clip the nails?

There must be a nail clipping guide on here but I can't link form my phone but someone else should be able to do that for you soon.

I hope this helps 🙂

Top tips for cutting nails please? Vet checked them when we took them for a health check 4 weeks ago and said they didn’t need doing. They aren’t curling over or anything but I am not sure how to trim them and we still haven’t managed to get the piggies to sit with us for too long. I’ve checked some you tube videos but there is no way our boys will let us get hold of them long enough and I am terrified of hurting them or making them bleed 😫

Hi!

Here is our nailcutting guide. I find using our piggy whispering tips helpful for better compliance. Asserting your (friendly) authority as a superpiggy will make youngsters sit still and cooperate. Give them plenty of 'piggy kisses' and reassurance. You do not need to all nails on one go when you are not experienced.
Guide to Cutting Guinea Pig Nails
Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering And Cuddling Tips

The first time you just cut off the very tip (1mm) of a nail that is starting to grow out, which can happen at very different ages ranging from a few weeks to several months.

You could enquire at your clinic whether they have a piggy savvy nurse who would be willing to do them for you for a small fee. We have a number of members who are too afraid to do them themselves.

Do you think they need cutting yet? See first picture of snowy. Other 2 photos just because It clean hutch day and they were happy to have photos :-)
C6C029DF-B8CB-4B36-8F23-7F76FE1FF0FC.jpeg80DE0761-D6E0-4179-89C4-83649DD056D4.jpeg3DD7FA5F-3BE3-4935-9DA5-806F56DCF1E2.jpeg

Do you think they need cutting yet? See first picture of snowy. Other 2 photos just because It clean hutch day and they were happy to have photos :-)
View attachment 154492View attachment 154493View attachment 154494

They could do with having the very tips taken off over the next week or so. Don't put yourself under too much pressure and if necessary, ask the clinic whether they have a guinea pig owning nurse who would be prepared to do it for you if you struggle.

I cant do my herd's nails as they are too wriggly. The vet does all five for just under 10 pounds. Phew!

I rang the vets and it’s £24 for nail clipping!🧐
That seems pretty pricey to be honest.
It is cheaper than that in Switzerland and nothing in Switzerland is cheap :))

Start by doing little and often - literally just shave a few mm of the end of each nail until your piggies become more comfortable and you get confident with it.

That seems pretty pricey to be honest.
It is cheaper than that in Switzerland and nothing in Switzerland is cheap :))

Start by doing little and often - literally just shave a few mm of the end of each nail until your piggies become more comfortable and you get confident with it.
Rang the place we got them from, they have a vet that comes in each week and does it so I have booked them in there £5 each 👍🏻

So wee took them for their nails clipping! Took us 20 minutes to catch them, snowy got out of the carrier and made a break for it. Ended up behind the screwed in hutch! Finally managed to persuade him out before finally getting him in his tube then into the carrier! Mittens just kept legging it 😫

Aw it's so hard when they're new and skittish 😳 Sounds like Snowy was getting used to you, hope Mittens is too. It'll get easier. Love their names by the way!

Oops this post is last year! Found it searching for piggy names.

Back