• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Nail Cutting - How Often?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gimz

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
our little piggies are now 11 weeks old and we haven't cut their nails yet - we've had them about a month. Their nails are a little spikey, at least it feels like that when they run up my chest. How often would you advise cutting them?

I have read the guide above on how to cut them, it just doesn't say how often. I know that is a bit subjective, but a rough guide for a new piggie owner would be helpful. we have some little clippers we can use which we had for when my boys were babies.

You just do them as and when they need it really :) It's what I do with ours anyway.

I know what you mean about spikey! One of ours has claws like that, he's a young one.

:DI would say that I cut my girls nails about once a month. The ones on the inside toes are the hardest as they curl in towards the foot. It's difficult to cut it without cutting the foot. :hmm:

generally around once a month is ok. i tend to check nails every week and trim any that need it. some weeks are a bonus and none need doing, but little and often seems best and this way you don't have to do every nail in one session :)

Baby nails eventually fall off and adult nails come through at around four months I think - like milk teeth in humans - so for now just file them so they're not sharp!

After that, I think the others covered it! But when you look at them and think mmm is generally a good indicator :) x

I wouldn't reccomend any set time to cut, as mentioned, they grow at different paces. Sometimes not even in different Guinea Pigs, but in different toes. Mine sometimes would have some that grew out long and fast, and some that barely even grew on the same foot. I'd just watch them and when you feel they've got too long, then it's time to cut. :)

good luck. i checked mollie and benjie's nails today after their weekly weigh and thankfully mollie only needed one trimmed and benjie needed four... phew! :))

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back