• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Nail Cutting Nightmare!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gus and jack

Reaction score
Well one of my boys hates having is nails done and I mean hates! I've tried everything! Feeding him while doing it but he eats too quick for me to get anything done, may try him on some carrot next though. Wrapping him in a towel but he wriggles out. Holding him so he can't bite me but then he wriggles so much that I can't cut anything. Holding him more loosely to see if he would stay still and not bite but he wriggles so that he can bite and then leaves teeth marks. Last time I managed to clip one nail! I don't mean one foot, I mean one whole nail! I'm getting a bit desperate because his nails are really quite sharp now and I don't want to stress him with ths every time I hold him Anyone got any ideas? I'm thinking maybe a pair of gloves is the way to go so he can bite to his hearts content?

darkest.dreaming

Reaction score
I used to put mine on their backs. My Wige would stay like it for ages, she loved it.
You've tried everything i would prob try, gloves are an idea as long as you can still feel what you're doing i suppose. Hope you find a way that works. :)

kellyandpiggies

Reaction score
I can't do Ton's nails for the life of me cos he will never stay still wrapped in a towel or not! Plus he's so strong! Yet the vet can just lift his paw and cut them!

Everyone else just get flipped on their back and trimmed!

kayjay

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
You need an extra pair of hands, wrap him up tightly and get a friend to hold him, then take out a paw at a time and cut nail. It worked for me anyway (thanks Gemmah :))

Abnoba

Reaction score
I always do it together with someone else, boyfriend, sister, name someone.

I usually hold the piggy on its back, then the other person has two hands to clip the nails, or if neccessary even hold a torch (if its dark nails).

Doing it alone is a nightmare and just puts you AND the piggy under stress that is just uneccessary. Would never ever do it alone again.

kellyandpiggies

Reaction score
Never do my alone, jusr in case - still can't do Ton's (used to though)

sars1359

Reaction score
mum always does our piggies tootsies on her own,god knows how, but she says laying them on their back usually works

K

KatsCavies

I just sit my piggies on my lap, pick up each foot in turn and clip the claws, job done :). I don't seem to have any problems doing anything with my pigs. The trickiest job is clipping the lower incisors if they ever need doing as they have a tendency to stick their tongues in the way ;D.

Kat

kayjay

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Abnoba said:
I always do it together with someone else, boyfriend, sister, name someone.

I usually hold the piggy on its back, then the other person has two hands to clip the nails, or if neccessary even hold a torch (if its dark nails).

Doing it alone is a nightmare and just puts you AND the piggy under stress that is just uneccessary. Would never ever do it alone again.
I managed to do Lottie's alone but she's really placid - I just sat her on my knee and picked up each paw one by one and clipped her nails, she makes far more noise when being brushed tbh, but Fudge is a wheeking nightmare, and really objects to lying on his back - I'm plucking up courage to give him his first wash and brush up ;D

Glynis

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
Sully was easy to do as he'd just site there, but Duke's a little monkey he wriggles and squirms SIGH
So we always do it with someone else helping and lots of foods to treat him.
Abnoba BRILLIANT idea about the torch, hadn't thought of that as Duke has a dark foot & nails :) :)

H

hbowring

hi there, our piggies hate having theirs done too!

I've found its just as easy to pop them up to the vets to get their nails trimmed. It doesn't take long and the nurse does it for you while they behave good as gold which is just typical! Our vets only charges £5 to get both our piggies nails done which to me seems a £5 well spent. Bit of a cop out i know but might be worth looking into. She also mentioned that sometimes the piggies just don't like the noise of the nail clippers makes sense doesn't it.

Any suggestions too make bath time easier? They hate that too!

H x

Abnoba

Reaction score
lucky you, vets where I live charge 11 pound per piggy for clipping. :(

so I rather do it myself and spend the money on piggy treats!

gus and jack

Reaction score
Wow, have just done a nail clippng marathon. Took a while but I eventually got all but two nails done. Had my housemate hold him down on his tummy and I picked up his paws while he munched on a big lump of carrot. Worked for a while until he got wise to what we were doing. Will attempt the last two nails tomorrow when hopefully he will have forgotten all about it. Phew, surprisingly stressful.

On the topic of baths, mine have only had one so far and there was only one escape attempt,funnily enough by Jack the nail clip hating piggy. I found that supporting their front legs and tummy with one hand and using the other hand to wash with prevented them from going anywhere I didn't want them to because only their back legs were in the water, although Gus did try to climb out onto my hand to snuggle in cos he didn't like being wet ::)

Billies Mum

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I used to talk quite firmly to Bil and tell him it was for his own good and that it was getting done whether he liked it or not.
All in a calm, but firm tone.
he would usually relax once he realised that wriggling would get him nowhere
Then he would get a treat when it was over

J

Jillybean

One of my girls just freezes when I do hers - it's great! Clip, clip, clip & it's done. However, another one sits still and then jerks suddenly, have had this before & you've got to be so careful.

Status
Not open for further replies.