• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Nail cutting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Today I cut Ruffle's nails for the first time (he is 5 months old). I wasn't looking forward to it as he never sits still anyway, so I knew I was in for a battle. It was awful though, he spent the whole time trying to either jump off my lap or take chunks out of my hands. He has actually bitten a hole in my jumper sleeve :{

I have done about half his nails, I just couldn't get it finished without risking bloodshed (probably mine). Can anyone suggest anything to help? My other boy Jack and his late brother Charlie have always protested a bit but never ever been vicious to me.

I'm lucky mine are not too wriggley but Spike does sit quite calmly and then suddenly takes a bite out of your hand!
My tip is get someone else to hold them then if anyone's going to get bitten it's less chance of being you!
I get my OH to hold Spike against him and when I do his front paws he tips him back slightly so he can't lean forward and bite me!
Other tip is get OH to hold him against him with one hand and a carrot in the other - soon distracts him!

Thanks for the suggestion. I did start off with my 7 year old daughter helping to hold him still but her reactions aren't as quick as mine and I told her to stand clear after a while in case she got bitten. My husband hates animals and won't touch them, so that's no go.

I did have a bit more luck with him wrapped in a teatowel but I couldn't cover his head as he totally freaked when I tried that, so his teeth were still free. I did manage to get to the back legs like that though.

I always use a towel wrapped around them. He is panicking as he feels insecure, if he's held firmly and with a towel round him, he should be ok.

i just took my 2 piggies to the vets to get nails cut last week / with nails cut and full check up it cost me 16 pounds (no pound sign coming up on keyboard)

I thought the price was reasonable

both of mine are a nightmare . my daughter holds them but they both turn in to vampires lol. or i just go to cut nail and they pull away. i just feel a bit daft taking them vets when they are only guineapigs and just to get nails cut , no offence to people who do take them vets but dont they go for the vets

I prefer doing it myself. I don't do a perfect job but to me, £16 for a nail trimming isn't reasonable. Do it yourself and pay yourself £16! :))
I'd consider that very expensive...But then...Since I do my own, it's free so any price would be expensive for me x.x

Anyways, I would try wrapping him in a blanket first, that used to work for me.
One of my boys really hate it, he bites me so much when I do it...Even plucks hairs out of my arms...
So a good idea (This is what I do.) is to wear a nice fluffly jumpy so it's all nice and soft, and start with the back feet because they're so much easier!
Place your piggy so his head is kind of under your arm, so he can bury his head between your arm and your stomach, then take one of his back feet, pull it out a bit (Mine normally struggles and pulls away but keep doing it until you have a firm but not painful grip) then when you're nice and steady, start clipping.
Then switch the piggy to the other side for the other foot.
I find this works a dream!
I have no perfected method for the front feet I'm afraid. I normally place them on my knee, grab them underneath so I'm supporting them (Like they're standing on their back legs) and I placeone finger under the foot I'm going for and one above so they can't pull it away and rip their nail and also so it's harder for them to turn and take a chunk out of me.
It works well...It's just the inside nail that's a pain when you do it this way!

Hope this helps. This works alright for my wriggly little chap, so it might work well for yours!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back