• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Nail cutting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I have noticed that my piggies nails need cutting, I need to get some nail clippers before I attempt to cut them but can I have some ideas on how I can can cut there nails without scaring my little babies.

Yes, use nail clippers. Using scissors can cause their nails to split. To clip their nails, hold your piggy firmly and snip off the tips of the nails. Do not cut to far down into the quick of their nails. This will cause bleeding. If you do happen to cut to far, put some cornstarch on it to stop the bleeding.

Hope this helps! :)

Yes, use nail clippers. Using scissors can cause their nails to split. To clip their nails, hold your piggy firmly and snip off the tips of the nails. Do not cut to far down into the quick of their nails. This will cause bleeding. If you do happen to cut to far, put some cornstarch on it to stop the bleeding.

Hope this helps! :)

Thankyou, I was going to use sissors as I have no nail clippers but I will now pop out and get some nail clippers next week when I'm in town.

I use human toenail clippers because I find them easier on my own. You can also use small animal clippers. You can either ask someone to hold the piggy for you, or I manage on my own by sitting the pig sideways on my lap so they can hide their head in the crook of my left arm whilst I cut the nails with my right hand. Pigs react differently. Flumpet screams before I even get the clippers near her nails. My other girls are very quiet. Don't worry if you can't do all the feet in one go. Better to do them over several days than stress your pig out too much. They will remember it the next time.

I found this link really useful to explain where the quick is. On black toenails, I tend to err on the safe side. Good luck. :)
http://www.guinealynx.info/nails.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back