• UK storm warning - Danger of unseasonal high winds and falling trees! Please secure any hutches and sheds, and bring your guinea pigs and rabbits indoors if possible! Click Here for info

Nail Trimming

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarah.w

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I usually take my piggies to the vets to get their nails trimmed, but it would be so much easier to keep ontop of them myself.. I have purchased the nail clippers but I'm too scared to actually use them! Both of my pigs have black feet so I am scared incase I cut them too short and hurt them.. Even my vet seems to cringe when she's clipping them incase she takes it too short so my older boy seems to have quite long nails all of the time even though they're kept ontop of. Any tips for trimming black nails?

Thanks in advance :)

katie-elizabeth

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My boy Alfie had black nails, I just clipped his nails little and often - so I'd only take the very tips off. You can't really go wrong then! Good luck, you'll be fine :)

sarah.w

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Thank you :) I think I'd cry if I hurt him, but I'll just take the tips off

Piggles13

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I cut all my pets nails at home. I'd suggest the same only take the tips off. I'm lucky mine have clear nails, although my rabbit doesn't and that's scary!

Carrotyd

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I took Harry and Lloyd to the vet mid-December, a month or so after getting them, to get their nails trimmed and she said they didn't need doing.

In fact, she said they don't need doing until they're at least 10 months (!) old.

They're four months old now. No way they can be left another six.

Status
Not open for further replies.