Nail Trimming

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoragonHinansho

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Good morning, everyone!

So I wanted to ask some advice about cutting guinea pig nails!

One thing I've never been able to master is cutting the girl's nails! The back claws I can do just fine; I just struggle to keep them still long enough to be able to cut the front nails. They like to struggle and I sometimes end up cutting too far down as the managed to jump and move the same time I cut!

I usually try and get my Mum to hold them still while I'm cutting (I have tiny hands and struggle to keep them in place and cut at the same time) but I'd like a method that I could use to cut the nails independently if possible!

Also wanted advice on the trimming of black nails? Bramble is my first guinea pig that has black claws on one of her feet; and I wanted to have some advice before I cut and accidently go down too far!

Thanks everyone!

irene

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Good morning, everyone!

So I wanted to ask some advice about cutting guinea pig nails!

One thing I've never been able to master is cutting the girl's nails! The back claws I can do just fine; I just struggle to keep them still long enough to be able to cut the front nails. They like to struggle and I sometimes end up cutting too far down as the managed to jump and move the same time I cut!

I usually try and get my Mum to hold them still while I'm cutting (I have tiny hands and struggle to keep them in place and cut at the same time) but I'd like a method that I could use to cut the nails independently if possible!

Also wanted advice on the trimming of black nails? Bramble is my first guinea pig that has black claws on one of her feet; and I wanted to have some advice before I cut and accidently go down too far!

Thanks everyone!
Hi I have the same issues so looking forward to the expert replies on this forum. Do you know if nails can filed down?

Chief Guinea Pig

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Oh dear not nail trimming!
You can use a flash torch to try and highlight the quick :)

Hi I have the same issues so looking forward to the expert replies on this forum. Do you know if nails can filed down?
Yes nail files are fine, particularly if the nail doesn't need to be cut but if they are very sharp.

Galaxy&nibbles

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I've read on black nails if you look underneath you will see a ridge? Two of mine have black nails and I just hope I don't go too far. I have started doing it weekly now so I take very little off. I actually discovered last night a great, easy, quic and relaxing way to cut my boys nails. I sit on the sofa, well slump back slightly and hold them up on my chest facing away from me, with one hand supporting them under their front legs and with their feet resting on my thighs and cut the nails. I've even done this with my newest completely terrified piggy and they all laid there still and relaxed which I was amazed. And with the hand supporting under their front legs, I use to hold the front feet to cut the nails. I will try to take a picture later to show you what I mean

Status
Not open for further replies.