• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

nails are red?

mintpotatocc

New Born Pup
Reaction score
i just noticed my guinea pigs nails are red but there is no blood anywhere. what is happening? I don't think they're normally red on him.. i hope he's okay! i want to cut his nails (the last owner told me he just got them cut 3 weeks ago) but they're red!

Attachments

• IMG_6344.jpg
    IMG_6344.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 27
i just noticed my guinea pigs nails are red but there is no blood anywhere. what is happening? I don't think they're normally red on him.. i hope he's okay! i want to cut his nails (the last owner told me he just got them cut 3 weeks ago) but they're red!
Some of Bandits look like that.

Hi!

It is just the first time you have noticed, but this the correct colour for nails that go with the skin tone of your piggy. Nothing at all to worry about! Best hold the nails against a source of light so you can avoid cutting into the quick.

They look fine to me. One of my piggies had a white foot and the nails on that foot are really pink. It's nothing to worry about and should make it easier to see the quick as the end of the nail won't be as red because the quick won't reach quite all the way down

Oh thank you! Someone told me his fur color is more red (I thought he was brown) so that makes sense! thought that entire nail was his quick so I was unsure if I should cut just yet. Thank you all!

Oh thank you! Someone told me his fur color is more red (I thought he was brown) so that makes sense! thought that entire nail was his quick so I was unsure if I should cut just yet. Thank you all!

It depends on how old he is and whether his nails have started growing out and if yes, how much! Generally my first nail cut in young piggies is just about 1 mm to cut off the sharp tip of the baby nails once they are start growing.

Reddish nails can be suprisingly difficult to judge. It is easiest against a light source but if in any doubt, cut less rather than too much until you get the feel for it.

It depends on how old he is and whether his nails have started growing out and if yes, how much! Generally my first nail cut in young piggies is just about 1 mm to cut off the sharp tip of the baby nails once they are start growing.

Reddish nails can be suprisingly difficult to judge. It is easiest against a light source but if in any doubt, cut less rather than too much until you get the feel for it.
He is 1 year old but I just adopted him recently! I've had him for 3 weeks but the previous owner cut them before I adopted. Have not cut his nails yet but I'm afraid Ill hurt him so Ill definitely keep that in mind + watch loads of videos! Thank you!

Back