• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Nasal Discharge After Anaesthetic

Liane

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Clara was at the vets yesterday for an X-ray and bladder flush (no stones, thankfully!) and although she was a bit quiet last night, she was eating and pooping.

This morning she had a lot of nasal discharge. I thought it was blood at first because it was so dark, but I think it’s actually what she’s been eating (nuggets mixed with poop, probably). It’s the most discharge I’ve ever seen coming from the nose.

We rang the vets this morning and they said that, while not normal, it can be a side effect of the anaesthetic (she didn’t have this last time she was under) and we should just monitor her for now.

Does anyone have experience of this side effect? Will it clear up on its own? Are there any other symptoms I need to look out for?

I’ve tried searching a bit but can only see about eye discharge after anaesthetic.

It sounds like she must have swallowed during the GA and it's gone up her nose. It should hopefully stop soon.
If it hasn't stopped by tonight, I would speak to the vets again tomorrow.

Was this at Cat and Rabbit Clinic? If it’s not cleared soon, I’d ring again as we are coming up on the weekend and they’ll be closed after midday tomorrow.

It was, yes. I’ll get Dad to check her nose now and see if it’s cleared.

This happened with my piggy. She had a nose bleed and was snuffly after an anaesthetic. She recovered after a couple of days on metacam

Did you just speak with the receptionist when you rang? If it’s still happening ask to speak with Simon or Kim. If they’re busy ask for them to call back. Say you’re worried.

It was Dad that rang as I start work at 7:30; the receptionist spoke to Simon and relayed the message.

I’ve just checked on her, no additional discharge but she does still sound a little snuffley, particularly when she’s eating, but I think this might be due to a dried bit of discharge I can see sitting in her nostril but can’t get at. I’m hoping she’ll sneeze it out or something.

She seems happy enough in herself. I’ll keep a close eye on her.

It was Dad that rang as I start work at 7:30; the receptionist spoke to Simon and relayed the message.

I’ve just checked on her, no additional discharge but she does still sound a little snuffley, particularly when she’s eating, but I think this might be due to a dried bit of discharge I can see sitting in her nostril but can’t get at. I’m hoping she’ll sneeze it out or something.

She seems happy enough in herself. I’ll keep a close eye on her.
It sounds like things will settle down over the next day or so. xx

Back