• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Nearly 2-year old male, refuses other boars

Stycks

_
Reaction score
Hi, last year one of my boars died, and left behind his brother Ginger who started showing signs of depression, so we got him a new friend, called Mr. Pickles, who was 8 weeks at that time. They got along 'okay' but Mr. Pickles kept harassing the older one with constant mounting, while Ginger squealed submissively and never seemed to 'contest' his role or 'do anything about it'.

A few months ago, Ginger died at the age of 6, so we decided to get another boar to keep Mr. Pickles company. We adopted a 2 year old boar, quarantined him for 10 days, then did an introduction on neutral grounds, with plenty of room and food in the middle for distraction. The new boar displayed expected behaviour, rumblestrutting etc. and wanted to get to know our boar. However, Mr. Pickles was VERY agitated, kept chattering his teeth loudly and ran away when the other pig got near him. It did not take too long before Mr Pickles lunged at the new pig and they became a flying ball of fur, so we separated them before any injury. We tried a buddy bath and they were eating next to each other for a few minutes before the same happened. Judge me if you want, but we have since found another home for this guinea pig as we didn't want them living next to each other when Mr Pickles chattered at him when he saw or heard him.

We went to a rescue for boar dating, but Mr Pickles displayed the same behaviour with every boar (7 total). Fearful, agitated, chattering, showing teeth and running away, and if the other pig got near, he tried to jump at them and fight them.

We were told to get a very young baby, as Mr Pickles should not feel intimidated by him and the baby should accept the submissive position. So we adopted a 9 week old baby and did it all proper again, quarantine, then an introduction. But after 15 minutes we had to end it because when the poor baby, who was curious and wanted to get to know Mr Pickles, went near him, Mr Pickles lunged at him.

It seems that Mr Pickles outright hates other guinea pigs, as it seems to be more than just a dominance problem - there wasn't even any mounting going on in any case, as he ran away before it happened, and if another pig managed to get near, they'd fight. The baby guinea pig did not display any signs of dominance, he was just minding his own business eating, and when when he simply walked towards Mr Pickles, not rumblestrutting, chattering or anything, he was rejected. At first I thought that Mr Pickles just refuses to be the submissive pig but he seems to hate everyone. It could not just be bad luck - he behaved the same with every boar and none of them were aggressive

Any advice, thoughts, tips? Thanks in advance

You didn’t do anything wrong, at this time of the day the forum is very quiet as it’s based in the UK and most of us are sleeping. You’ll hear from someone as soon as they’re awake :)

I don't have a solution however i wanted to say i have a boar who's exactly the same. 🙈. He is a live alongside piggie and has his own cage and my other 2 guinea pigs as company in a nearby cage. He however has been tried with around 20 or so males of all different ages and has done exactly what you described to them all.

The only thing i could suggest is to continue the boar dating when suitable males arrive in rescue, or opt for neutering and rescue date him to find a female after his 6 weeks wait.

I agree, my Luigi beat up his cage mate pretty badly and doesn’t like boars at all but he’s in heaven now with two ladies! And when they tell him what to do 90% of the time he listens! Unless there are herbs around! :))
Good luck, hope you can find him a pal!

Thanks for all the responses. Does anyone know of boar dating that does pick up and drop off. We do not live near a rescue currently and have no car available (Warrington, UK)

Have a look at the list of rescues and email them to get yourself on the waiting list. You can then ask if they offer boar dating and the process as well.
Recommended Guinea Pig Rescues

Thanks I've emailed both the North West ones. Today I tried another introduction of my boar to his current neighbor who was very eager to be with him (12 weeks old), after a bonding bath.

It is heartbreaking because the baby wants to get to know him, but Mr Pickles ignores him and is aggressive towards him when he gets near. I had to end the video as it was getting serious, and he leaped at the baby right after and that was the end of that introduction :(

As he has rejected so many other boars, then I think I would neuter, have the six week wait and then look to bond with a sow instead.

Is the baby by himself? What are your plans for the baby?

I am unsure how to find a reliable vet to do the neutering in my area.

They currently live in a 2x6 cage split in the middle. My friend will come pick the baby up on Thursday and get a friend for him, probably a baby.

They currently live in a 2x6 cage split in the middle. My friend will come pick the baby up on Thursday and get a friend for him, probably a baby.

Is your piggy not registered with a vet anyway?
This is our vet locator - this might be of help to you - Vet Locator

Please tell your friend to try and get the baby a friend from a rescue. If she doesn’t she needs to have a plan b in case they don’t get on with the baby she gets on spec.

He is registered with a vet, but how do I know they are experienced and won't kill my piggy? They could just be saying they are experienced to get the cash.

And yes the pig will be from a rescue.

He is registered with a vet, but how do I know they are experienced and won't kill my piggy? They could just be saying they are experienced to get the cash.

And yes the pig will be from a rescue.

Vets will not behave in that manner.
However, some vets are more experienced with guinea pigs than others though so it would be your responsibility to ensure you have found a good vet - ask people local to you to recommend a vet, or use our rescue locator. All the vets on the locator are member recommended as being cavy savvy

Back