• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Nearly 6 Weeks After Neuter And Bumble Has A Swelling :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeykins

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just checked Bumble over as usual and noticed a very sudden swelling near his neuter site (neutered on 19th January) - there was a tiny spot there which was checked by the nurse at his post op and apparently was fine, but now suddenly there's a big firm swelling at that site which looks a bit red but wasnt hot to the touch. He is fine in himself, eating and drinking normally, running around popcorning loads and generally really happy. I don't think it hurt him as he let me feel around it and he is usually a total drama queen if anything hurts him! I've put a pic below and will be trying to get him a vet appointment for tomorrow but can anyone shed some light on this? Could it be related to his neuter this late on?

image.jpg

Please have Bumble seen by your vet as soon as you can tomorrow. It is most likely an abscess that will require a strong antibiotic; abscesses can happen weeks or even months after a neutering operation. :( Zithromax is especially good for post op abscesses, so you may want to ask your vet for it if appropriate; it can cut through them where baytril can't.

Thank you :) I was on phone to vets literally while typing - he has an appointment at 9:10 tomorrow morning - he is now sitting on a pile of hay as if to say "what its the problem?"

I'll mention to them about the zithromax, and I have some Critical Care in just in case he needs it but he is stuffing his face as we speak lol

Thanks so much for getting back to me so quickly x

Thank you :) I was on phone to vets literally while typing - he has an appointment at 9:10 tomorrow morning - he is now sitting on a pile of hay as if to say "what its the problem?"

I'll mention to them about the zithromax, and I have some Critical Care in just in case he needs it but he is stuffing his face as we speak lol

Thanks so much for getting back to me so quickly x

Try to get hold of some probiotic, to help boost the guts with any strong antibiotic; you give a pinch 1-2 hours after the antibiotic. Guinea pigs can react badly to any antibiotic, but mine have always been fine with Zithromax.

I've got some Avipro in too :) thanks :) I went into a total panic then and I'm kicking myself for not noticing it but I literally look them over every few days and I hadn't spotted it :( I'm reassured slightly by his apparently normal behaviour in the meantime but I know piggies hide pain well!

Doesn't help that I'm practically sofa bound with tonsillitis and bronchitis at the moment already! :(

I've got some Avipro in too :) thanks :) I went into a total panic then and I'm kicking myself for not noticing it but I literally look them over every few days and I hadn't spotted it :( I'm reassured slightly by his apparently normal behaviour in the meantime but I know piggies hide pain well!

Doesn't help that I'm practically sofa bound with tonsillitis and bronchitis at the moment already! :(

Abscesses can blow up very quickly right out of nowhere! So don't beat yourself up about something that was not there when you looked last.

:agr: - well done for noticing it . I sympathise with you. I was mortified when I noticed Max had developed an abscess approximately 6 month after his neutering.

He's OK now .

I hope all goes well with Bumble's treatment.

Poor Bumble! This is what happened with Mario around 4 weeks after surgery, it was an abscess.

Update! Took Mr B to the vets this morning and he does have an abscess, he is now on Baytril (vets didn't have any Zithromax but have said that they can use it if Baytril doesnt work, and Bumble is booked in for Tuesday to have his abscess drained and flushed under anaesthetic - until then he remains apparently blissfully unaware and is as we speak popcorning up and down his ramp...... X

Update! Took Mr B to the vets this morning and he does have an abscess, he is now on Baytril (vets didn't have any Zithromax but have said that they can use it if Baytril doesnt work, and Bumble is booked in for Tuesday to have his abscess drained and flushed under anaesthetic - until then he remains apparently blissfully unaware and is as we speak popcorning up and down his ramp...... X
If your vet will write a prescription you will be able to get Zithromax from the chemist,as said before it is magic.

PS was he glued or stitched when neutered?I have found less incidence of abcess when glued rather than stitched.

Mario was glued and it still happened sadly. I'd glad there is a plan to sort him out! :)

Update - I'm in a panic

Just went to give Bumble his Baytril and check him and his abscess seems to have ruptured - he's seemed much brighter today - eating drinking and popcorning happily - not that he's seemed remotely 'down' this whole time!

I know this makes me a terrible pet owner but there is no physical way I can get him to a vets tonight, I'm a lone parent, no car, my 5yr old is sick abc I'm technically supposed to be on bed rest with bronchitis and I have no local help.

I've had a good look at Bumbles abscess - it looks clean, I can't see any pus or fluid or discharge just a little scabbing, fortunately I'm healing a piercing and have a sterile saline wound irrigator so I've cleaned him down thoroughly with that which he didn't mind at all, he's now munching broccoli happily, he's had his Baytril.

I'm feeling like a rubbish pet owner right now, can someone reassure me? I think a slap would help. Is this massively serious? The vet did say the abscess might burst at some point but she didn't say what to do if it did

Thanks everyone x

If I were you , I would telephone your vet for some advice.

Hi,

I called my vets but they were closed and referred me to Vets Now who said since he has no other symptoms and is generally otherwise 'well' there isn't much more they can do right now. They said all they would do if I took him in is put him in antibiotics which he is already on, but they did advise moving him onto a clean fleece and take him to my vets tomorrow if he shows any signs of being in distress.

He currently seems to be warming up for the national cucumber eating championships and is looking at me like I've gone mad........

Thanks so much for getting back to me :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back